Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 01, 2020

US-based pro sports leagues monitoring coronavirus outbreak

By request:

Major North American professional sports leagues are talking to health officials and informing teams about the coronavirus outbreak that has led to the first reported death in the U.S.

Officials from the National Basketball Association, National Hockey League and Major League Baseball say they are all consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other organizations on a regular basis about COVID-19. Washington State reported Saturday that a man in his 50s died from the virus.

There are no immediate plans to cancel or postpone games or have them held in empty stadiums or arenas. Some of those contingencies have been taken in other countries, including Italy, where soccer matches were postponed until May.

Pro sports in the U.S. for now are going on as scheduled, though leagues are closely monitoring the situation. The NBA and NHL are in their regular seasons and MLB in spring training in Arizona and Florida with Opening Day less than a month way.

QLE Posted: March 01, 2020 at 12:56 AM | 8016 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: coronavirus

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 34 of 81 pages ‹ First  < 32 33 34 35 36 >  Last ›
   3301. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: March 29, 2020 at 04:48 PM (#5934773)
Michael Jackson's "Beat It." That works.
   3302. Tony S Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:06 PM (#5934774)

The highly visible people who tested positive -- Rudy Gobert, Tom Hanks, Rand Paul -- has there been any followup on their status? Did they develop symptoms?
   3303. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:10 PM (#5934775)
Gobert and his teammate Donovan Mitchell have been "cleared" as of yesterday (I put this up in the NBA Thread). Knicks owner James Dolan also has tested positive. Don't know about Hanks, Paul, or the other NBA guys, one of whom is Kevin Durant. Hanks' wife, Rita Wilson, also tested positive IIRC.
   3304. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5934777)
   3305. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:21 PM (#5934778)
Hanks and Wilson were well enough to return to the US. Still in self-quarantine, I believe.
   3306. SoSH U at work Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:24 PM (#5934779)

Hanks and Wilson were well enough to return to the US. Still in self-quarantine, I believe.

That's if you take them at their word. Depressingly, to a staggering number of people, they're actually under arrest because they're horrible pedophiles.

3307. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:27 PM (#5934780)
Depressingly, to a staggering number of people, they're actually under arrest because they're horrible pedophiles.

That's a conspiracy theory?
   3308. SoSH U at work Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:28 PM (#5934781)

Yeah, they're a top target of the QAnon people. Hanks twitter page announcing thanks to the Australian government and assuring fans he's OK has absolutely been overrun with these pieces of ####.
   3309. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:30 PM (#5934782)
Host Al Sharpton on MSNBC just now to NYC Mayor de Blasio: "You were out way ahead of everyone, saying that we need to do a 'shelter in place'......"

(I had to freeze and rewind to make sure I heard that right)
   3310. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:37 PM (#5934783)
I actually think The River is one of the best written songs I ever heard. He aimed for haunting, and nailed it, IMO. But it's a song people under about 50 no longer understand, because it came from a time when teen pregnancy was A Big Deal.

agreed on the lyrics (and performance).

also, Bruce wrote the song about his sister - who, last I heard, was still married to the narrator who knocked her up, all these years later. go figure.
   3311. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:37 PM (#5934784)
Their son Chet has a giant tattoo of the Eye of Providence on his chest. He posted a shirtless video after his parents tested positive and the conspiracy theorists went wild for it since it “confirms” that Tom Hanks is part of the Illuminati.
   3312. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:42 PM (#5934786)
That's exactly what I would do if I were a celebrity.
   3313. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:42 PM (#5934787)
Top customers of Hillary Clinton’s sex trafficking ring, I assume?
   3314. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: March 29, 2020 at 05:55 PM (#5934791)
Mine is Michael Jackson’s “Bad”. Totally unfair.

Just missed Tiffany’s “I think we’re alone now”, which would have been pretty good.

My wife’s is “don’t worry, be happy”, which is awesome.
   3315. SoSH U at work Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:05 PM (#5934794)
My wife’s is “don’t worry, be happy”, which is awesome.

I see shelter in place is taking its toll.
   3316. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:08 PM (#5934795)

from variety.com:

Singer-songwriter John Prine, who received a Grammy lifetime achievement award this year, is in critical condition with symptoms of coronavirus, his family relayed via his Twitter account Sunday.

“After a sudden onset of Covid-19 symptoms, John was hospitalized on Thursday (3/26),” the statement from the Prine family said. “He was intubated Saturday evening, and continues to receive care, but his situation is critical.”

damn you, COVID-19

he has beaten cancer twice, too
   3317. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:10 PM (#5934796)
So, let's see if I have this straight ... they're part of the Illuminati, and they're being brought to justice for pedophilia, but the other Illuminati are going kinda easy on them because they used to be pals, so they don't need to go to a US courthouse or jail or anything like that?
   3318. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:15 PM (#5934797)
well, there IS this

News12
@News12
·
1m
#BREAKING: @realDonaldTrump
announces he is extending social distancing guidelines to April 30 to slow the #coronavirus spread.
   3319. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:24 PM (#5934798)
Singer-songwriter John Prine, who received a Grammy lifetime achievement award this year, is in critical condition with symptoms of coronavirus,
####. This one’s gonna hurt.
   3320. base ball chick Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5934799)
i keep hearing how there aren't man y cases
well, there ain't very much testing at all

i know 4 people who wanted to get tested and the drive thru thingy only takes 200 people a day so they are turning away tons

they are going to have to guess the death rate by the excess deaths this year

and now the virus is in harris county jail, which has something like 9000 people cooped up in it. we're gonna have a LOT more deaths than a nursing home

and mah song is Jump by kris kross and no, mama wouldn't let us wear our clothes backwards. LOTS of songs called Jump
   3321. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:35 PM (#5934800)
It's the right move by the white house--for everyone and actually for the white house politically as well. There was just no way it was going to be sooner than that anyway.

edit:

"We can expect that by June 1st, we will be well on our way to recovery, we think by June 1st. A lot of great things will be happening"

3322. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:39 PM (#5934801)
announces he is extending social distancing guidelines to April 30 to slow the #coronavirus spread.

Fake news. He postponed Easter.
   3323. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:53 PM (#5934802)
Fake news. He postponed Easter.
He said that Easter is and has always been celebrated in August, and his followers all went “yeah, OK, that sounds right.”
   3324. SoSH U at work Posted: March 29, 2020 at 06:58 PM (#5934803)
"We can expect that by June 1st, we will be well on our way to recovery, we think by June 1st. A lot of great things will be happening"

Did Trump say/tweet that? Either the experts have finally gotten through to him or he's forgotten that May exists. I think it could go either way.
   3325. base ball chick Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:02 PM (#5934804)
check this out - my mama sent me this

not not maddie, it's this article from forbes about testing people in groups and letting the negatives go to all the jobs
   3326. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:10 PM (#5934805)
Breaking News: For the 1st time since early March, I saw a decent supply of paper products at the grocery store. Paper towels (name brands, close to normal supply), napkins (name brands, less than normal supply), and even some TP (a few dozen 4-packs of generic, unbranded, smaller rolls). Price was a bit higher than in the good old days. Might have just been good timing - I was also at another store and the shelves were bare in the paper products aisle.
   3327. Sunday silence Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5934806)
THere was another minor celeb who died a few days ago: Ron BLum. He was a mainstay of Broadway but might be better known as the husband of Roseanne Arquette in Desperately Seeking Susan. His death was listed as complications from Corona virus.
   3328. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:15 PM (#5934807)
The discount grocery store near my house had a fully stocked half-aisle of Scott tissue and something that appeared to be even worse than Scott tissue. But no actual toilet paper.
   3329. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:18 PM (#5934808)
3325 - needs work: population of Iceland is 360k; population of Israel is 8.6m; the 15 minute test still requires a specialized instrument (not sure how many labs have them).
   3330. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:29 PM (#5934809)

Step 1: Imagine the dumbest scenarios possible
Step 2: introduce the Army into the regulation of everyday life because what could possibly go wrong with that in our current situation.
   3331. base ball chick Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:46 PM (#5934813)
mayor

you most DEFINITELY got a point about the army
   3332. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 29, 2020 at 07:55 PM (#5934814)
Got that far and stopped, took a few deep breaths, googled him, then went back to the essay. There's something to the economic argument (if it's not larded with fake concern for the extra suicides from people who otherwise couldn't give half a ####), but when that slides into another opportunity for the militarization of everyday life ...

Or would it be contracted to Erik Prince?
   3333. base ball chick Posted: March 29, 2020 at 08:00 PM (#5934815)
i started thinking about how all the people in hong kong and china are constantly tracked by the govt with their phones (are you legally allowed to go out without your phone?) then started thinking of military everywhere and have to admit i kind of didn't think THAT part through real too good. actually, i don't think we have enough military for that kind of testing everyone everywhere
   3334. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 08:04 PM (#5934816)
I mean, if you want to respond to this thing with a China level of effectiveness, you need to employ a China level of totalitarianism.
   3335. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 08:13 PM (#5934818)
country music singer Joe Diffie just died at age 61 of COVID-19.

Diffie did a smooth-as-velvet romantic duet with Mary Chapin Carpenter in 1992 called "Not Too Much To Ask."

(hey, I have a sensitive side - what about it?)

To hear you say my name, to see you search my eyes
To feel you touch my hand, it more than satisfies.
If I was not the first, just say I'll be the last
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.
   3336. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: March 29, 2020 at 08:44 PM (#5934822)
I mean, if you want to respond to this thing with a China level of effectiveness, you need to employ a China level of totalitarianism.
This assumes that their numbers are real. Isn’t it more likely that their numbers are absolute garbage and that the results that they are reporting are not possible to achieve?
   3337. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 29, 2020 at 09:16 PM (#5934824)
Some potentially good news on the treatment front. A larger French study of Hydroxychloroquine & Azithromycin found it to be an effective treatment for the Corona Virus. The CEO of Novartis also reported that “pre-clinical studies in animals as well as the first data from clinical studies show that hydroxychloroquine kills the coronavirus”. There’s also this account of the treatment of David Lat, formerly a prominent legal blogger, and Corona Virus victim who was recently taken off a ventilator and transferred out of ICU after being treated with azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine. Heard a radio report that there’s a 1,000-patient study going on in NYC, so there could be more data soon.
   3338. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 09:29 PM (#5934826)
This assumes that their numbers are real. Isn’t it more likely that their numbers are absolute garbage and that the results that they are reporting are not possible to achieve?

I have no idea. But I think it would be impossible for them to hide an epidemic of NYC-Madrid proportions in Beijing or Shanghai.
   3339. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: March 29, 2020 at 09:45 PM (#5934827)
Sorry to go all didactic, but it's coronavirus. All one word and not a proper noun.
   3340. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 09:50 PM (#5934828)
My father has the same habit of capitalizing words inappropriately - perhaps it's an affliction of old age - it gives his emails a kind of 17th century feel. One time he was complaining about airport security theater and capitalized "pat-downs" - rendered it "Pat Downs" - which made it sound like a fellow named Pat Downs was hounding him at every airport he went to.

Anyway, good news. Here's hoping that the combo is a miracle cure, although I'm not celebrating quite yet.
   3341. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: March 29, 2020 at 09:51 PM (#5934829)
Satellite photos/analysis of China showed a dramatic reduction in pollution during February. There has been some rebound, although it doesn't look like a full rebound.
   3342. PreservedFish Posted: March 29, 2020 at 10:00 PM (#5934830)
Absent extraordinary measures, the entirety of China would have been totally engulfed in this disease by now. It's not. I think we can be confident about that.
   3343. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 29, 2020 at 10:06 PM (#5934831)
But I think it would be impossible for them to hide an epidemic of NYC-Madrid proportions in Beijing or Shanghai.
Well, they did just kick out the reporters for some rather prominent U.S. news outlets. There are numerous reports that China has again shut down all its movie theaters after they had reopened. There are also reports of large quantities of funeral urns being distributed in Wuhan. That doesn’t seem consistent with the current Chinese propaganda, and their prior record on truth telling is pretty poor, so there would seem to be some reasons to be rather skeptical of China’s claims of no new deaths. When all is said and done, I doubt that authoritarian regimes will have done a better job of dealing with the virus.
   3344. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:08 PM (#5934837)

There are still a lot of foreign journalists, bloggers, podcasters, students, businesspeople, etc. in China, notwithstanding the recent journalist expulsions. (That was likely retaliation for the US cutting the number of slots permitted for journalists at Chinese state-owned outlets in the US. Which was itself likely a retaliation for the Chinese expulsion of several WSJ reporters. Which was supposedly retaliation for a WSJ op-ed headline calling China the "sick man of Asia".)

China obviously is very controlling of what information its own citizens can read, it's not all that effective at keeping its dirty laundry a secret from the rest of the world. That doesn't mean the numbers they are publishing are true -- they are very likely undercounting like everywhere else -- but it does mean that if there was still exponential growth going on, or a repeat of Wuhan in other regions, we would likely have some inkling of it. (The only caveat is that with the current restrictions on movement, journalists have even less access than they normally do.)
   3345. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:25 PM (#5934838)
since the "12th birthday song" theme went over well here, the next Twitter meme is

"Your Quarantine name is the last thing you ate and your high school sports team nickname"

mine is Sirloin Falcons, which sort of works
   3346. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:28 PM (#5934839)
My guess is that, like everywhere else in the world we have data for so far (Italy, France and Madrid, at least), the number of deaths during the peak of the virus outbreak is a lot higher than the actual recorded death toll. That wouldn't make Wuhan special, and would be consistent with what we know about epidemiology.

That linked story is basically useless though. It appears that people who have been locked up for over two months can all finally claim the urns now. Even under normal conditions in Wuhan that would be at least 10,000 (based on the below) for two months worth. We can' tell from the story if there are more or less than that, and no idea if having people finally pick them up after two months would create long waits.

Also, the story seems to make a fundamental error about total cremations in Wuhan, unless it covers a much bigger area than the city. Wuhan the city couldn't have 50,000+ creations in the 4th quarter of any year, because there are not enough people in the city for that (over 2% dying in a year is not feasible). You would expect it to have at most half that (25,000+) in a quarter, and potentially 1/4 of that (e.g., NYC is like 0.6-0.7% annually or so). So my guess is the number they are citing is for a whole year or else is not just for Wuhan. Also, they compare cremations in the 4th quarter of last year to prior years. There's nobody who thinks they are hiding bodies from 2019--it would have to be from this year to make any sense. On top of all that, they show how the numbers grew slightly each year (2017-2019, which is already irrelevant), seemingly implying something, but in fact Wuhan is a growing city and you would expect these numbers to grow 1-2% a year, so that's totally normal anyway. Finally, I know next to nothing about Wuhan. Does everyone there get cremated under normal circumstances? Maybe it's true but they don't say that anywhere.
   3347. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:38 PM (#5934841)
"Your Quarantine name is the last thing you ate and your high school sports team nickname"

Potato Chips Illineks, not so much.
   3348. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:49 PM (#5934842)
Chicken Vikings.
   3349. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:52 PM (#5934843)
Potato Chips Illineks, not so much.

Face, I know you are from Champaign, but really?
   3350. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 29, 2020 at 11:58 PM (#5934844)
I went to the university lab school, what can I say? They were the Illini, we were the Illineks. I had no control over it. And my wife got us into the Netflix show about the crazy tiger owners, and I wanted potato chips while we watched after dinner. I’m not going anywhere for the next month at least, so #### it, I’m having potato chips.
   3351. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:04 AM (#5934845)
we were the Illineks.

Lamest mascot ever, barely beyond Illini.
   3352. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:07 AM (#5934846)
At least they stopped using a “Chief” head as the logo and just spelled out the name. They made the change while I was there in the early ‘90s, which was pretty decent for that time. There was some controversy.
   3353. Howie Menckel Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:09 AM (#5934847)
if countless mainstream medical community analysts project 1M+ deaths in the US from this virus, and it turns out that Fauci's 100K figure wins - has anyone considered the political ramifications of that?

not that the analysts are supposed to factor in such things.

but it just seems like groundwork is being laid either for:

- millions dead
or
- far fewer that, resulting in......

almost seems like a free man walking into an office and barricading himself inside with a bomb that detonates whether rescuers arrive or not.

for one example, what if that Rutgers antibody experiment works? are the projections modeling in any possible tech breakthrough at all in the next few weeks/months?

I'm sensing a little deja vu meets Groundhog Day
   3354. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:09 AM (#5934848)
Double Chocolate Gelato Engineers.
Yeah, that works.
   3355. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:15 AM (#5934849)
Were they predictions of >1M deaths, or greater than >1M deaths if no actions were taken?

15 March The Hill article on Fauci press conference:

ABC’s Jonathan Karl asked Fauci on “This Week” about the New York Times report on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) worst-case projections. The CDC reportedly predicted 160 million to 214 million infections, 2.4 million to 21 million hospitalizations and 200,000 to 1.7 million deaths in the country.

Fauci responded that a model is “only as good as the assumptions you put into a model.”

“The worst-case scenario is either you do nothing or your mitigation and containments don't succeed,” he said “So although that's possible, it is unlikely if we do the kinds of things that we're essentially outlining right now.”
   3356. Eric L Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:16 AM (#5934850)
Pulled pork eagles - meh
   3357. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM (#5934851)
if countless mainstream medical community analysts project 1M+ deaths in the US from this virus

That was within the range of possible outcomes if we did nothing. Obviously, we've done something (if not as much as we might have).

EDIT: Coke to Werner von Blomberg.
   3358. Snowboy Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM (#5934852)

####. #### any faint hope this would crest shortly, the US would ride it out, and just deal with it. This is confirmation my layoff is not going to be a short one.
   3359. Snowboy Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:24 AM (#5934853)

There should be an immediate caveat: most school mascots are pluralized (Lions, Tigers, Centurions, Wallflowers, etc) but the names will sound cooler if done in the single.
For example, already above: Sirloin Falcon is cool, way cooler than your name being Sirloin Falcons.
Chicken Viking > Chicken Vikings
Potato Chips Ilenleneks is the made-up name of someone from the Czechoslovakia who escaped through the underground in 1986; Potato Chip Illinek is somehow baddass, almost intimidating. ["Why is he called "Potato Chip"? "Well, this one time, somebody was hassling him, and he reach for a bag of chips, and..."]

Thus mine would be Popcorn Crusader. I can live with that.

(e: typo corrected, sry)
   3360. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:28 AM (#5934854)
Potato Chip Illinek is somehow baddass, almost intimidating. ["Why is he called "Potato Chip"? "Well, this one time, somebody was hassling him, and he reach for a bag of chips, and..."]
Yeah, let’s just go with this.

Sorry to hear you’ve been laid off. What business are/were you in? This is going to hurt a lot of people in a lot of ways, and it’s heartbreaking.
   3361. Howie Menckel Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:37 AM (#5934855)
That was within the range of possible outcomes if we did nothing. Obviously, we've done something (if not as much as we might have).

so that's going to work in a Presidential campaign?

"yes, we projected 1M+ deaths if we did nothing. but we did a lot, so it's not nearly as tragic"

even granting how much Governors are driving the train - I mean, does anyone else see the potential wreck up ahead?
   3362. Tin Angel Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:39 AM (#5934856)
There should be an immediate caveat: most school mascots are pluralized (Lions, Tigers, Centurions, Wallflowers, etc) but the names will sound cooler if done in the single.

Enchilada Trailblazer.
   3363. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:45 AM (#5934857)
Cod Knights?
   3364. Howie Menckel Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:48 AM (#5934858)
Sirloin Falcon.
   3365. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:48 AM (#5934859)

"yes, we projected 1M+ deaths if we did nothing. but we did a lot, so it's not nearly as tragic
The goal of the warnings was to spur people into action, to save lives, and prevent the medical system from becoming overwhelmed. And to prevent the spread of bad information. Most of it was not politically motivated.

edit: oh and by the way, if you really did nothing at all, the 1 million deaths would likely have happened far too soon for any breakthroughs to make a difference. Assuming we can restrain the spread for a much longer term now, a breakthrough could cut any projections off over the next several months, up to a year or more form now. It wouldn't have to come right away to make a big difference.
   3366. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:49 AM (#5934860)
"yes, we projected 1M+ deaths if we did nothing. but we did a lot, so it's not nearly as tragic"

even granting how much Governors are driving the train

You mean because no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American people? Yeah, it's coming
   3367. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:55 AM (#5934861)
you're right, of course, Aunt Bea, but that won't change WH/Fox messaging
   3368. BrianBrianson Posted: March 30, 2020 at 12:59 AM (#5934862)
i started thinking about how all the people in hong kong and china are constantly tracked by the govt with their phones (are you legally allowed to go out without your phone?)

China gets a reputation as authoritarian, and it absolutely can be, but it's very haphazard, really not like the way authoritarian governments get portrayed in American media and such. And, while some parts of it are very modern and rich, many parts ain't (and the two are stacked right on top of each other). Only 2:3rds of Chinese people even own a phone; hell, even government figures there only had 100% of households getting electricity in 2013.

When I was there, the most obvious thing for me was that facebook.com was blocked, but facebook.fr worked perfectly fine. The website blocking wasn't done systematically, or thoroughly. It was just some people, sitting in offices, taking wild guesses at what they were supposed to be doing (though? if I recall correctly, Wikipedia would load except when there was a thread on the admin's notice board about the Tiananmen Square massacre, where it would crash halfway loaded, so that was being done automatically).
   3369. Snowboy Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:01 AM (#5934863)
Thanks, ElRoy Face. I work for an airline, at an airport, and they went in order of seniority. They cut 70% in my dept, 21 years didn't make the grade, and it was effective in 24hrs, without any of the usual failsafes of moving to a lower classification if you could, transfer to another city if you can, etc...no. It was just "out the door, we're using an Act of God clause in the contract."

Not that I blame them, travel/flights have shriveled, and they are sending me to the sidewalk and not paying me because there are no passengers. And with Trump's announcement, that isn't about to change soon.
   3370. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:48 AM (#5934865)
Kit Kats Bobcats.

Winnah.
   3371. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:53 AM (#5934866)

Hilltoppers Chili

That is ... not a good name.

Though I suppose it should be Chili Hilltoppers ... which is likely the worst basketball shoe ever ...

"Check it out, I got some me Air Jordans for Christmas, how about you?

Chili Hilltoppers.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, man, are you adopted?"
   3372. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:54 AM (#5934867)
Hadn’t heard the term “coronavirus-related homicide” before, but NYC may have the first:
The NYPD is investigating what might be the city’s first coronavirus-related homicide — after a woman hit an elderly Brooklyn hospital patient in the head for violating social distancing, sources said Sunday. Victim Janie Marshall, 86, died less than four hours after the tense confrontation with 32-year-old Cassandra Lundy in Bedford-Stuyvesant’s Woodhull Hospital, cops said.

Marshall, who was at the hospital for a bowel obstruction, innocently grabbed a metal stand in a hallway near a bed where Lundy, a seizure patient, was sitting around 2 p.m. Saturday, police sources said. Lundy lashed out, complaining Marshall wasn’t following coronavirus social distancing guidelines, and allegedly slugged her in the head, knocking her to the ground, according to police sources.
. . .
Lundy, who lives in Bedford-Stuyvesant, has 17 prior arrests, on charges including drug possession, trespass, assault and strangulation, sources said.
Unfortunate, to say the least.
   3373. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:55 AM (#5934868)
Cod Knights?

Worst. Dio. Sabbath. Song. Ever.
   3374. PepTech Posted: March 30, 2020 at 01:57 AM (#5934869)
Washington State:

March 12: 4807 tested, 457 positive, 4350 negative
March 13: 6569 tested, 568 positive, 6001 negative
March 14: 7766 tested, 642 positive, 7122 negative, 40 dead.
March 15: 10220 tested, 769 positive, 9451 negative, 42 dead.
March 16: 12486 tested, 904 positive, 11582 negative, 48 dead.
March 17: 14129 tested, 1012 positive, 13117 negative, 52 dead.
March 18: 17195 tested, 1187 positive, 15918 negative. 66 dead.
March 19: 20712 tested, 1376 positive, 19336 negative, 74 dead.
March 20: 23243 tested, 1524 positive, 21719 negative, 83 dead.
March 21: 27121 tested, 1793 positive, 25328 negative, 94 dead.
March 22: 30875 tested, 1996 positive, 28879 negative, 95 dead.
March 23: 33933 tested, 2221 positive, 31712 negative, 110 dead.
March 24: 34181 tested, 2469 positive, 31712 negative, 123 dead.
March 25: 34292 tested, 2580 positive, 31712 negative, 132 dead.
March 26: 46380 tested, 3207 positive, 43173 negative, 147 dead.
March 27: 52728 tested, 3723 positive, 49015 negative, 175 dead.
March 28: 59206 tested, 4310 positive, 54896 negative, 189 dead.

March 29: 65462 tested, 4896 positive, 60566 negative, 195 dead.
   3375. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: March 30, 2020 at 03:41 AM (#5934870)
   3376. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 06:45 AM (#5934873)
Just remember when you post the answers to these type of things that some websites use your high school mascot as one of your security questions. I am always worried that these viral Facebook posts about 10 concerts you went to or things like that are started by hackers trying to collect information about all of us for that purpose. Here, where it’s anonymous, it’s less of a concern.
   3377. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: March 30, 2020 at 08:19 AM (#5934876)
Spain and Madrid appear to be leveling off--18-20 days after lockdown in Madrid.

3/19 1326
3/20 1720 +30%
3/23 2182 +27%
3/24 2696 +24%
3/25 3434 +27%
3/26 4089 +19%
3/27 4858 +19%
3/28 5690 +17%
3/29 6528 +15%
3/30 7340 +12%

Madrid
Date        total deaths    new deaths
March 10       21             13   (as of 9pm the prior evening, so would be prior to the shutdown)
March 11       31             10
March 12       56             25
March 13       81             35
March 14        ?              
March 15        ?
March 16      213
March 17      355            142
March 18      390             35
March 19      498            108
March 20      628            130
March 21      804            176
March 22     1021            217
March 23     1263            242
March 24     1535            272
March 25     1825            290
March 26     2090            265
March 27     2412            322
March 28     2757            343
March 29     3082            325
March 30     3392            310
   3378. BrianBrianson Posted: March 30, 2020 at 08:22 AM (#5934877)
Or, if like every other school in the Great Lakes basin, your school mascot was the Wildcats, it was never secure to begin with.
   3379. Tony S Posted: March 30, 2020 at 08:36 AM (#5934878)

So we've gone from "15 cases now, close to zero" a month ago to 100,000 deaths as the best-case scenario today.

Anybody who relies on our national leadership for guidance and information regarding this pandemic is risking his or her life.

Trust yourself. And your local government if it's competent (there still are a few).

3380. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: March 30, 2020 at 08:37 AM (#5934879)

I'm Cottage Cheese Falcons. Howie, we must be long-lost cousins!

EDIT: Err, Cottage Cheese Falcon.
   3381. BrianBrianson Posted: March 30, 2020 at 08:52 AM (#5934882)
Okay, it wasn't that bad. I actually checked the 19 highschools in my home town, where there were only two Lions, a Bengals, a Wildcats, and a Panthers as the cat mascots.
   3382. bob gee Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:13 AM (#5934884)
PreservedFish - Your local island story hit all over the place yesterday and today:

https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqOQgKIjNDQklTSURvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NoTUtFUWlsck1hMGo0QU1FY1pwSEhxY0V5cmRLQUFQAQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en
   3383. Hot Wheeling American Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:33 AM (#5934887)
the 19 highschools in my home town

Town or county?
   3384. pikepredator Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:54 AM (#5934891)
As the resident Muffin Crusader, I hope to team up with my compatriot the Popcorn Crusader to try and eliminate our common enemy, the Chicken Viking.
   3385. Ron J Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:55 AM (#5934892)
#3132. Interesting situation in Brazil. Several governors are opposing Bolsonaro and imposing their own measures. What's more, in some places gangs have imposed and are enforcing lockdowns.

It would be an interesting study if accurate records were being kept. Of course they aren't.

Right now, the virus is disproportionately affecting the "haves" in Brazil. Plausibly being spread by Bolsonaro's circle.
   3386. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:55 AM (#5934893)

Isn't your argument that the slogan is going to be: "they predicted a million deaths, we only had 200,000, so the coronavirus was all a hoax after all"?
   3387. PreservedFish Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:58 AM (#5934894)
Right now, the virus is disproportionately affecting the "haves" in Brazil. Plausibly being spread by Bolsonaro's circle.

Makes sense that it would reach the cosmopolites first, and in a country with such stark wealth disparity, it may take a while for it to penetrate the society of 'have nots'. The wealthy in Brazil don't require an epidemic to isolate themselves from their compatriots.
   3388. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: March 30, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5934895)
The argument would turn into "Trump saved 800k lives".
   3389. Tony S Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM (#5934896)
Isn't your argument that the slogan is going to be: "they predicted a million deaths, we only had 200,000, so the coronavirus was all a hoax after all"?

They'll certainly try that, but:

-- 200,000 deaths is a conservative, low-end estimate, given how patchwork and irregular our shutdown and distancing policies have been
-- Constant goalpost-moving works less well every time it's attempted, especially given that we're talking actual real deaths here, not abstract, relatively distant concepts like say, unemployment rates
-- there will be severe economic fallout either way -- either everyone goes back to work, and the virus spreads rampant, or everyone stays home, and economic activity slows to a crawl (our options are not quite so binary, but the media frames it that way, and our national government propagates this)

3390. BrianBrianson Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:17 AM (#5934899)
Town or county?

Yes, by saying "town" I was being a bit colloquial, but since it was a suburb of a larger city (which it's since been amalgamated into), "town" feels more natural.
   3391. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:23 AM (#5934901)
As the resident Muffin Crusader, I hope to team up with my compatriot the Popcorn Crusader to try and eliminate our common enemy, the Chicken Viking.
I really hope someone comes up with Ham Fighter.
   3392. . . . . . . Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:34 AM (#5934904)
I am the Special K Tiger, which given that netflix show is probably an inopportune nom de cordon sanitaire.
   3393. Accent Shallow opens his curtains at 7 AM Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:36 AM (#5934905)
Banana Wizard.

What's going on, ladies?
   3394. SoSH U at work Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:36 AM (#5934906)
Cracker Sailor. Or what some of the locals called Columbus.

3395. Kiko Sakata Posted: March 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM (#5934908)
My quarantine name at the moment is Banana Ram - not to be confused with the 80's girl band whose song "Venus" was released too late to be my pandemic anthem.
   3396. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM (#5934912)

Anyway, I'm the Granola Trojan. Could be worse.
   3397. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM (#5934913)

Cookie Polar Bear. I don't like this game.
   3398. Ron J Posted: March 30, 2020 at 11:02 AM (#5934914)
Bagel Bruin.
   3399. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 30, 2020 at 11:05 AM (#5934917)
I encourage everyone to read this New Yorker interview with Richard Epstein to see what happens when all of the worst traits of an arrogant ideologue lawyer are unleashed. He is truly disgusting.
   3400. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 30, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5934919)

The optimist in me hopes that they think the actual number of deaths will come in significantly below 200,000, and they are intentionally setting the expectation high so that they can claim a victory when it ends up lower. I'm not sure this administration thinks that far ahead, though.
Page 34 of 81 pages ‹ First  < 32 33 34 35 36 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.