Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, March 01, 2020

US-based pro sports leagues monitoring coronavirus outbreak

By request:

Major North American professional sports leagues are talking to health officials and informing teams about the coronavirus outbreak that has led to the first reported death in the U.S.

Officials from the National Basketball Association, National Hockey League and Major League Baseball say they are all consulting with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other organizations on a regular basis about COVID-19. Washington State reported Saturday that a man in his 50s died from the virus.

There are no immediate plans to cancel or postpone games or have them held in empty stadiums or arenas. Some of those contingencies have been taken in other countries, including Italy, where soccer matches were postponed until May.

Pro sports in the U.S. for now are going on as scheduled, though leagues are closely monitoring the situation. The NBA and NHL are in their regular seasons and MLB in spring training in Arizona and Florida with Opening Day less than a month way.

QLE Posted: March 01, 2020 at 12:56 AM | 8016 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: coronavirus

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 38 of 81 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›
   3701. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:16 PM (#5935544)
Flip
   3702. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:17 PM (#5935545)
Took me a second to find that joke.
Subtlety has always been my specialty.
   3703. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:26 PM (#5935547)
I'd like to walk through Manhattan - or Paris, or Rome, or wherever - with quiet streets.

San Francisco's been f'ing marvelous with the empty streets + beautiful weather. Several excellent long walks with Amazing GF, keeping us both from going too bananas (we've never been more grateful to live in separate apartments in the same building). Nobody's mowing lawns or trimming shrubs, so the flowers are POPPING all over the city.

There was a brief shining moment when the few urban pedestrians out seemed to be watching where they were going, which is just an astonishing change in public behavior: I've never seen anything like it my entire adult life. But, pretty quickly, folks on the sidewalk went back to the standard "If I don't make eye contact, you're not there." (you can still get people's attention by coughing or sniffling, though, so I do)
   3704. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:26 PM (#5935548)
I don't really see how these numbers are possible unless we don't come out of lockdown until there is a vaccine (or some other major medical breakthrough that comes earlier but is just as effective).

If you can maintain lockdown until the first wave truly has subsided, then you can limit reemergence with aggressive testing, isolation and contact tracing until a vaccine is ready for widespread distribution. Or at least that has to be the hope.
   3705. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:31 PM (#5935551)
I hope someone is studying the urban shutdown's effect on scavenger-critters.
Like, are seagulls still hopefully going to Pac Bell Park and the Oakland Coliseum in the afternoons, trying to figure out WTF's going on?
And if they're going somewhere else, where?

I have this weird feeling we're going to start seeing "Rats! Rats all over NYC!" stories soon; with no restaurant garbage (and no restaurant workers setting traps) them beasts gotta figure something else out quick.
   3706. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:35 PM (#5935552)
then you can limit reemergence with aggressive testing, isolation and contact tracing until a vaccine is ready for widespread distribution. Or at least that has to be the hope.
I guess that's the idea, but there'd have to be pretty extreme social distancing, testing, and tracing, and fairly thorough cooperation by the populace. Maybe even more extreme than what South Korea is doing. Are we able do that here for 12-18 months? I'm very skeptical.

After this first wave US-wide, we are going to be pretty near that 93,000 limit in the US, is my guess. Can we really go another 12-18 months with almost no one else dying? This is even more the case for the UK's 20,000 estimate. They might be right on top of that, or even past it, by the time the first wave is over.

All barring some major breakthrough of course, which would dramatically change things.

(edit: also, those will be the official death numbers, with real death numbers likely much higher in the final accounting.)

3707. Zonk Needs HCQ-lite Because He's Morbidly Obese Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:45 PM (#5935554)
I have this weird feeling we're going to start seeing "Rats! Rats all over NYC!" stories soon; with no restaurant garbage (and no restaurant workers setting traps) them beasts gotta figure something else out quick.

It's not the rats we need to be worried about -- the goats are making their move.

You have been warned. The goats have been preparing and are now on the move.

Are you doing YOUR part to stop them?
   3708. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5935555)

I'd like to walk through Manhattan - or Paris, or Rome, or wherever - with quiet streets.

I've gone running in Manhattan, but generally stuck to the jogging paths and downtown around where I live. It's quiet, but not as empty as you'd think or like, especially on the paths. People still have to walk their dogs and go to the grocery store, etc. and some of them aren't great about keeping their distance. However, I think if you go to the places that are normally busy, like Times Square or Herald Square, they're pretty empty - at least from some of the photos I've seen.
   3709. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:57 PM (#5935559)
Going back to last night...

The fact that this “letter” was sent means that he already sent a message up through a secure channel and didn’t like the answer he received.

That's a point I wouldn't have grasped, unless you brought it up. Thanks.

I had been assuming the reporting on the Theodore Roosevelt is more about embarrassing someone in Washington. If I'm a staff officer trying to get (say) Congress's attention, leaking a letter like this is an effective way to do such. Granted, that staff officer is not somebody I would want to work for, and the captain would know what could happen to his letter.
   3710. Tony S Posted: April 01, 2020 at 01:59 PM (#5935560)

We just had our first reported death from COVID in my home county (Frederick, MD). A woman in her 90's.

We have 33 reported cases in the county up to now. I suspect the actual number is far greater, given how sparse testing has been.
   3711. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:03 PM (#5935563)
However, I think if you go to the places that are normally busy, like Times Square or Herald Square, they're pretty empty - at least from some of the photos I've seen.

This is an interesting video of Chicago with empty streets.
   3712. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:17 PM (#5935568)
Twitter is full of people taking video outside their local hospital and stating that the pandemic is fake because their hospital isn't busy. So did Glenn Beck or someone start this or what? Very weird
   3713. Dan The Mediocre is one of "the rest" Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:20 PM (#5935571)
Twitter is full of people taking video outside their local hospital and stating that the pandemic is fake because their hospital isn't busy. So did Glenn Beck or someone start this or what? Very weird

Conspiracy theorists that believe the government wants to use this as an excuse to overthrow Trump and use FEMA to institute Martial Law.
   3714. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:20 PM (#5935572)
This is an interesting video of Chicago with empty streets.

It is interesting; I wish people wouldn't slap a movie-trailer soundtrack onto everything though.
Cities aren't just empty now - they're so quiet.
   3715. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:26 PM (#5935573)
Conspiracy theorists that believe the government wants to use this as an excuse to overthrow Trump and use FEMA to institute Martial Law.

What about those of us who thinks trump wants to use FEMA to institute martial law? Give us some cred.
   3716. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:40 PM (#5935577)
The expert consensus on the efficacy of masks appears to change week-by-week.
There was always some tension between the claim that masks wouldn’t be useful to the general public in preventing the spread of coronavirus, and the argument that the limited supply needed to be conserved to protect healthcare workers.
   3717. Tony S Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:40 PM (#5935578)

DeSantis finally locks the barn door.

The horse is halfway to Canada by now.
   3718. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:41 PM (#5935579)
So the people trying to use this to overthrow Trump have coopted Trump into the effort? Or is he playing 13-dimensional chess again?
   3719. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 02:48 PM (#5935582)
Twitter is full of people taking video outside their local hospital and stating that the pandemic is fake because their hospital isn't busy. So did Glenn Beck or someone start this or what?

I believe it has been on Fox News, with the two black ladies who co-host a show in on it.

the premise seems to be that people can just drive up to the hospital, park, and then wander in high-fiving fellow patients while on a line for their virus shot. or something. it's weird.
   3720. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:14 PM (#5935593)
I love how people can be willing to believe in a conspiracy that would have to involve ultimately maybe hundreds of thousands of people spread throughout the entire world. Especially when there are simpler conspiracy theories -- The Chinese created it in order to destroy America's economy! The Americans created it in order to destroy China's economy, but they screwed up and it got out! -- that would only require one top-secret lab and a handful of Chinese MSS and/or US CIA agents.
   3721. Hot Wheeling American Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:15 PM (#5935595)

March 28, 2020: Rats swarm New Orleans' streets as coronavirus precautions leave them empty

"I turn the corner, there's about 30 rats at the corner, feasting on something in the middle of the street," Charles Marsala of New Orleans Insider Tours and AWE News told CBS News' Omar Villafranca. Marsala said he had "never" seen anything like it before.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said the rats were going "crazy."

{The head of the local pest control board} called it a "difficult time to be a rat" due to the limited availability of food scraps.
   3722. Karl from NY Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:17 PM (#5935596)
If you can maintain lockdown until the first wave truly has subsided, then you can limit reemergence with aggressive testing, isolation and contact tracing

Western governments can't or won't enforce this.
   3723. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:18 PM (#5935597)
What about those of us who thinks trump wants to use FEMA to institute martial law? Give us some cred.
Beyond martial law, some are also suggesting that the virus will serve as a pretext for canceling the presidential election. You can find that one even without venturing to the far corners of the Internet.
   3724. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:23 PM (#5935600)
Like, are seagulls still hopefully going to Pac Bell Park and the Oakland Coliseum in the afternoons, trying to figure out WTF's going on?
And if they're going somewhere else, where?
We live in Chicago about maybe a 20-minute walk from the lake. I've been hearing seagulls regularly in the neighborhood - I'm not sure if I just didn't notice them last fall, or if with the lakefront closed down they're not finding the usual dropped crumbs there and are looking further inland.
   3725. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:32 PM (#5935601)

Western governments can't or won't enforce this.

I think they could, and some will. It's not something that's never been tried before, just not on this scale.
   3726. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:51 PM (#5935607)
I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now.
   3727. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:58 PM (#5935608)
I think they could, and some will. It's not something that's never been tried before, just not on this scale.

Or at a point when so much effort, including that os many ruling parties, has been focused on discrediting the efficacy of government.
   3728. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:58 PM (#5935609)
The South may not be rising, again

"A virus that is particularly lethal for people with underlying health conditions is now spreading into the unhealthiest part of the U.S.: the South.

For decades,­ people in the 11 states that seceded during the Civil War -- America’s poorest region -- have suffered from a scourge of obesity and hypertension, which intensify the danger of the coronavirus and the Covid-19 respiratory disease that it causes. Four of the five states with the highest diabetes rates are in the South. And eight didn’t expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, leaving thousands of families without access to routine care, even as financially troubled rural hospitals wither away."

“Covid-19 is going to be a disaster in the Southeast,” said Aaron Milstone, a Tennessee pulmonologist. “We’ll see higher morbidity, which is getting sick from the virus, and higher mortality, which is dying from the virus.”
   3729. Obo Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:59 PM (#5935610)
I've seen a few more rats than usual while walking empty Manhattan streets at night. Not great hordes or anything like that though.
   3730. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:09 PM (#5935613)
are seagulls

Someone said seagulls?

I've got your "seagulls" right here!

Finnish Folk Metal ... FTW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes ... you've been ... THUNDERSTRUCK!
   3731. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:10 PM (#5935615)

another reason to hunker down:

Lois Beckett
@loisbeckett
·
48m
There were 3,740,688 background checks for firearm sales done through the FBI's NICS system in March.

That's the highest number on record, going back to 1998.

That's nearly a *million more* gun background checks conducted last month than the month before.
   3732. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:18 PM (#5935620)
ANOTHER REASON TO HUNKER DOWN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jGAfzrdpxo
   3733. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:19 PM (#5935621)
That's nearly a *million more* gun background checks conducted last month than the month before.
When the desperate hordes come for your toilet paper, some will be prespared.
   3734. Snowboy Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:38 PM (#5935626)
DeSantis finally locks the barn door.

The horse is halfway to Canada by now.

It won't get past our sharp-toothed defence beavers!
   3735. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:42 PM (#5935627)
he found that musicians who played brass instruments (brass is partly copper) were also protected.

Being a trumpet player may save my life!
   3736. Snowboy Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:49 PM (#5935629)
Oh great, just what we needed to boost the mood around here, someone who can play taps.
Let us know when you think it's time to start tooting reveille? I'm looking forward to that moment.
   3737. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:51 PM (#5935630)

We live in Chicago about maybe a 20-minute walk from the lake. I've been hearing seagulls regularly in the neighborhood - I'm not sure if I just didn't notice them last fall, or if with the lakefront closed down they're not finding the usual dropped crumbs there and are looking further inland.

There's also a lot fewer people around, and presumably fewer cars out, to scare wildlife away.
   3738. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:52 PM (#5935631)
Profiles in Criminal Stupidity

The pregnant woman swore that her husband was healthy and should be at the hospital for the birth of their child. But soon after she welcomed their baby into the world, she started to exhibit symptoms linked to the novel coronavirus.
   3739. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 04:58 PM (#5935634)
Oh great, just what we needed to boost the mood around here, someone who can play taps.

Hey .. I offered up Finnish Folk Metal ...I'm doing what I can!
   3740. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:00 PM (#5935635)
I had been assuming the reporting on the Theodore Roosevelt is more about embarrassing someone in Washington. If I'm a staff officer trying to get (say) Congress's attention, leaking a letter like this is an effective way to do such.
And we should also consider that this letter may not be real. It looks a lot like something that could be Chinese propaganda. Probably a little too polished to be Russian.

But yes, the captain is responsible. He authorized a port call in the middle of a pandemic and despite the faux bravado, his ship’s war fighting capability is at best diminished.
   3741. Zonk Needs HCQ-lite Because He's Morbidly Obese Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:05 PM (#5935636)
And we should also consider that this letter may not be real. It looks a lot like something that could be Chinese propaganda. Probably a little too polished to be Russian.

Considering the Pentagon responded that they haven't ruled out punishing the Capt, I think we can safely assume its authenticity...

"I don't know who leaked the letter to the media. That would be something that would violate the principles of good order and discipline, if he were responsible for that. But I don't know that," Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said when asked multiple times if the captain would be punished.

"The fact that he wrote the letter up to his chain of command to express his concerns would absolutely not result in any type of retaliation," Modly said.

In the letter, the captain called for "decisive action" and removing over 4,000 sailors from the ship and isolating them. He said that if the Navy did not act now, it would be failing to properly safeguard "our most trusted asset - our sailors."

"It's disappointing to hear him say that. However, at the same time, I know that that's not the truth," Modly said, adding that he did not agree with the captain that all but 10 percent of the ship's crew could be removed.
   3742. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5935637)
Georgia's Governor, ladies and germs!

Blayne Alexander
@ReporterBlayne
Why make the call now?

@BrianKempGA says learning #coronavirus can be transmitted before people show symptoms or feel sick was a "game changer" for him + state health dept officials. (in response to question from @bluestein)
5:03 PM · Apr 1, 2020
   3743. Zonk Needs HCQ-lite Because He's Morbidly Obese Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:09 PM (#5935638)
Waaaaaahhhhh?

I thought we agreed that April 1 jokes would be in poor taste this year, gub'nah...
   3744. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:10 PM (#5935639)
Considering the Pentagon responded that they haven't ruled out punishing the Capt, I think we can safely assume its authenticity...
Ah, hadn’t seen that. Thanks.
   3745. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:16 PM (#5935640)
that Governor IS the April Fool - that's his real account

meanwhile, today is CENSUS DAY!

did you fill it out? it says it takes 10 minutes.

I mean, Philip Rivers might need most of the 10 minutes - for the rest of us, we leave minutes on the table.
   3746. SoSH U at work Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:19 PM (#5935641)
Let those among you who weren't just learning today the virus could be transmitted before symptoms were showing cast the first peach.

3747. PreservedFish Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:19 PM (#5935642)
In the letter, the captain called for "decisive action" and removing over 4,000 sailors from the ship and isolating them. He said that if the Navy did not act now, it would be failing to properly safeguard "our most trusted asset - our sailors."

This captain seems to have made a mistake. The sailors are the Navy's most fungible asset. The Navy's most trusted asset is the nuclear vessel that helps ensure that some future war with China or Russia or whoever would take place on the coast of Eurasia rather than the coast of North America.
   3748. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:19 PM (#5935643)
There was an article yesterday about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg continuing her exercise workouts at the Supreme Court gym, even after her trainer canceled sessions for all his other clients, which caused some comment about whether Ginsburg was complying with DC’s Stay-At-Home Order, and/or taking unnecessary risks. I doubt that she would have been an enforcement priority, but Ginsburg has now abandoned her workouts, according to today’s reporting. Ginsburg is 87 years old, and a 4-time cancer survivor, with a stent in her heart. While the article indicates her trainer took precautions, there’s likely to be a massive outcry if that trainer even coughs in public, given how concerned some are about a potential pre-election Supreme Court vacancy. It also says something about how tough it is to actually lock everyone down.
   3749. Hot Wheeling American Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:25 PM (#5935645)
Thanks for bringing up a Supreme Court justice, The Yankee Clapper. Great content.
   3750. Zonk Needs HCQ-lite Because He's Morbidly Obese Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:34 PM (#5935646)
I proudly filled out my census form last week...

I wish I had gotten the long form... that would have been a more interesting quarantine activity than rewatching the Dinner Party episode of The Office for the 37th time.
   3751. base ball chick Posted: April 01, 2020 at 05:53 PM (#5935648)
Hot Wheeling American Posted: April 01, 2020 at 03:15 PM (#5935595)

March 28, 2020: Rats swarm New Orleans' streets as coronavirus precautions leave them empty

- that is BAD - really really BAD

the only good rat is a dead rat. they full of disease, they bite babies. we gonna get the plague going around again if they don't kill off the rats
   3752. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:01 PM (#5935649)
Rats?

I'm sorry, but if you piss BBC off?

Ya gotta go ...
   3753. Tin Angel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:18 PM (#5935653)
they bite babies

Yes, this happens all the time. Especially when you leave your baby lying in a garbage-filled alley all night somewhere or alone in a rotting abandoned building. Like most parents do.
   3754. base ball chick Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:25 PM (#5935654)
tin

there are a lot of people who are very poor and they live in BAD housing or old motel rooms which got RATS

and yeah, there are homeless people living in alleys
   3755. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:27 PM (#5935655)
I wish I had gotten the long form... that would have been a more interesting quarantine activity than rewatching the Dinner Party episode of The Office for the 37th time.
I got that one year - or maybe it was one of the mid-Census surveys - it was somewhat invasive. Lots of questions about finances, much more than what is needed to file your taxes. Some other stuff that I no longer recall, but it’s not like Zonk has anything to fear from the government.
   3756. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:43 PM (#5935657)
oh

Jim Acosta
@Acosta
·
1h
Trump adviser working with WH officials on messaging for pandemic said Trump “took a gamble” that warmer weather would cause Coronavirus to dissipate, siding with aides pushing back on dire warnings coming from doctors. "He took a gamble and got it wrong,” adviser said.
   3757. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:53 PM (#5935659)
To be fair, it was t going to “magically disappear” until April. And he didn’t say which date in April. Or which year. So he still might be right.
   3758. Srul Itza Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:53 PM (#5935660)
Or put your girl to sleep sometime
With rats instead of nursery rhymes
With hunger and your other children
By her side

And wonder if you'll share your bed
With something else which must be fed
For fear may lie beside you
Or it may sleep down the hall
   3759. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:54 PM (#5935661)
siding with aides pushing back on dire warnings coming from doctors. "He took a gamble and got it wrong,” adviser said.

Oh.
   3760. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:55 PM (#5935662)
#3747 the most fungible Navy asset might actually be Captains. There are hundreds of capable senior officers for every available ship. Especially aircraft carriers.
   3761. SoSH U at work Posted: April 01, 2020 at 06:56 PM (#5935663)
Schlesinger has died from coronavirus complications.
   3762. Greg Pope Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:07 PM (#5935665)
For decades,­ people in the 11 states that seceded during the Civil War

I have to say that never in my life have I thought about current states in terms of which side of the Civil War they were on. Groupings are things like Rust Belt, Bible Belt, Deep South, Southeast, Midwest, Great Lakes, etc. There's a ton that overlap. But we're 155 years from the end of the Civil War, I don't think that needs to be a grouping.
   3763. Jay Z Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:09 PM (#5935666)
Travel restrictions, further travel restrictions, are going to come. There is no where to go anyway. You can get rid of it that way. Then start opening up activities from the inside out.

By inside out I mean the most local stuff first. Churches, schools, local activities. That way if there is an issue you can confine it. Instead of opening things up nationwide and constantly fighting fires because someone just had to fly to Pittsburgh without testing or quarantine.

That is reality in a pandemic. If we really just wait until 80% of us have been infected we could see a million or two dead.
   3764. Tony S Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5935667)
siding with aides pushing back on dire warnings coming from doctors

So he listened to his aides, rather than medical professionals. Lovely leadership we got here.
   3765. Scott Lange Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:24 PM (#5935669)
Adam Schlesinger is the first individual coronavirus death to hit home for me. I wasn't into music when Fountains of Wayne was big, but I loved Crazy Ex-Girlfriend for which he wrote or co-wrote a large fraction of the songs. It's heartbreaking that Adam and so many other people are going to have given their lives for something that could've been prevented or heavily mitigated with a serious testing effort two months ago. Just doesn't seem fair.
   3766. Srul Itza Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:41 PM (#5935672)
Wisconsin, North Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii

Those are the states where nobody has been reported to have died of COVID today -- as yet.
   3767. Srul Itza Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:46 PM (#5935673)
I have to say that never in my life have I thought about current states in terms of which side of the Civil War they were on.

Really? Talk of "Dixie" and "the South," while not as prevalent as it was up through the Civil Rights movement in the 60's, has never really gone away completely.
   3768. Mefisto Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:46 PM (#5935675)
I have to say that never in my life have I thought about current states in terms of which side of the Civil War they were on. Groupings are things like Rust Belt, Bible Belt, Deep South, Southeast, Midwest, Great Lakes, etc. There's a ton that overlap. But we're 155 years from the end of the Civil War, I don't think that needs to be a grouping.

I'd say that's the single most important grouping in politics and has been for 155 years.
   3769. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:48 PM (#5935676)
1000 americans died today.
   3770. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 01, 2020 at 08:18 PM (#5935677)
Well, it looks like we no longer have to worry about how things are distributed from the federal stockpile since there's not much left to give.
   3771. Eric L Posted: April 01, 2020 at 08:18 PM (#5935678)
Up until 2009 I would have agreed with Greg. I think now the divide was never fully healed and may never be.
   3772. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 01, 2020 at 08:21 PM (#5935680)

When the good citizens of those state stop flipping out about protecting their monuments to the defenders of slavery, I'll agree.
   3773. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: April 01, 2020 at 08:28 PM (#5935681)
As a near-lifelong denizen of the South (other than not quite 3 years in Arizona for grad school), to the point that I've spent maybe 3 weeks total north of the Mason-Dixon line, I can assure anyone wondering out there that the legacy of the Confederacy isn't going away any time soon, 155 years or no 155 years.
   3774. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: April 01, 2020 at 08:36 PM (#5935682)
Up until 2009 I would have agreed with Greg. I think now the divide was never fully healed and may never be.

I recommend listening to David Blight's lectures on the US Civil War. I can't remember if he made the observation explicit, but any halfway-alert listener will come away with the understanding that we still haven't fully dealt with the consequences of slavery. That's what effective historians do, I guess. And as long as certain people feel compelled to put out the line that the Civil War wasn't about slavery, then you have substantial evidence that slavery and the Civil War still haven't been digested.
   3775. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:01 PM (#5935686)

Which is a bit above the error bars the healthdata.org site had for the day. They presently project 93,765 deaths through August 4th.
   3776. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:21 PM (#5935691)
Which is a bit above the error bars the healthdata.org site had for the day. They presently project 93,765 deaths through August 4th.
just in time for college football season to kick into high gear.
slavery never went away. first, it was replaced by jim crow; and when that was ripped away in the 1960s, it was immediately replaced by (for profit) mass incarceration.
   3777. Dr. Vaux Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:33 PM (#5935692)
I don't want this thread to be nuked. It's by far my main source of news, and it makes me feel less lonely to read everyone's posts. Please don't degenerate into back-stabbing.
   3778. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:38 PM (#5935696)
tin

there are a lot of people who are very poor and they live in BAD housing or old motel rooms which got RATS

and yeah, there are homeless people living in alleys

Well, yeah, but it's really hard to see them from one's ivory tower.
   3779. Tin Angel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:50 PM (#5935700)
Well, yeah, but it's really hard to see them from one's ivory tower.

Yes, being poor, unemployed, and in a horrible living situation in a tiny room with many roommates needed to make rent is QUITE the ivory tower, let me tell you. ########.
   3780. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 09:52 PM (#5935701)
The Wall Street Journal is running a series “Life in Quarantine - A Global Look At The Human Condition In The Age Of Coronavirus”, mostly about how ordinary people are coping with social distancing & stay-at-home restrictions, but today they featured Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, and included his detailed instructions for preparing Italian Pot Roast, if anyone is interested. There’s a link to the entire series there, too.
   3781. Mefisto Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:06 PM (#5935703)
10 Epstein Units down. Maybe, what, 300 yet to go? Truly, he has a dizzying intellect.
   3782. Eric L Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:07 PM (#5935704)
I took me a number of decades to learn that sarcasm is ineffective in making a point and I still forget sometimes but man, a couple of you could use a slapping.
   3783. Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:43 PM (#5935706)
- that is BAD - really really BAD

the only good rat is a dead rat. they full of disease, they bite babies. we gonna get the plague going around again if they don't kill off the rats

FWIW Lisa, the plague, unlike covid-19 which is a virus, is a bacterial infection. And responds very well to antibiotics. So there shouldn't be too much concern about it causing a widespread outbreak. There are actually still a few cases a year in the US.

Secondly, the plague was mostly spread by fleas, not rats. Granted the rats did often function as carrier of the fleas...
   3784. Howie Menckel Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:53 PM (#5935708)
musicians continue to fall
:(

Harry Shearer
@theharryshearer
And yet more: Ellis Marsalis, super-talented New Orleans piano master and sire of a flock of major musical talents, has passed. RIP.
8:55 PM · Apr 1, 2020
   3785. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:54 PM (#5935709)

The point about the rats is that they're roaming because they can't find food to eat. If you're anti-rat, this is probably a good thing in the long term.
   3786. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 01, 2020 at 10:57 PM (#5935710)

Every day the Spain numbers on Worldometers are like a punch to the gut. I guess they post them piecemeal, because for most of the day it shows a +500-600 number, and I think, well maybe that's it for today and it's finally on the downswing. And then I check again before I go to bed, and ####, it's +923.

The numbers in France and the UK don't look good either. Both above 500. And then I realize that my home state is also above 500 today. ####.
   3787. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: April 01, 2020 at 11:02 PM (#5935711)
AuntBea calls himself Sky Panther Posted: April 01, 2020 at 07:48 PM (#5935676)

Today.

Tomorrow it will be more.
   3788. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 01, 2020 at 11:55 PM (#5935712)
If you're anti-rat, this is probably a good thing in the long term.
Not if PETA can help it.
   3789. Howie Menckel Posted: April 02, 2020 at 12:23 AM (#5935713)
(CNN) — Dozens of spring breakers from Texas boarded a plane for fun and came home with coronavirus.

About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.

Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/austin-spring-breakers-coronavirus-trnd/index.html
   3790. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: April 02, 2020 at 12:24 AM (#5935715)
The point about the rats is that they're roaming because they can't find food to eat. If you're anti-rat, this is probably a good thing in the long term.

In the medium term, once they get hungry enough they'll start to attack anything edible, including humans. (But far more commonly, thankfully, each other.)

About 70 people in their 20s chartered a plane from Austin, Texas, to Mexico for spring break two weeks ago. They went against the advice of White House officials who asked that people avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 and nonessential air travel.

Now 44 of those people have tested positive for coronavirus -- all of them University of Texas at Austin students, a university spokesman told CNN on Wednesday.

70 people crammed into a small plane seems like an excellent test case for how virulent the virus really is--and that particular test case suggests that the probability of a person in their 20s contracting the coronavirus when exposed to it is in the range of 65-75%.

I wonder how many of the 44 were symptomatic versus asymptomatic.
   3791. Howie Menckel Posted: April 02, 2020 at 12:26 AM (#5935716)
@DollyParton
·
11h
My longtime friend Dr. Naji Abumrad, who’s been involved in research at Vanderbilt for many years, informed me that they were making some exciting advancements towards research of the coronavirus for a cure.

@DollyParton
11h
I am making a donation of $1 million to Vanderbilt towards that research and to encourage people that can afford it to make donations.
   3792. Random Transaction Generator Posted: April 02, 2020 at 12:33 AM (#5935717)
Every day the Spain numbers on Worldometers are like a punch to the gut.

Where do they get their stats?

For Canada, they said that yesterday (March 31) they had 1119 new cases.
But when you look at the official stats from the Canadian government, they've never had a day above 400 new cases.

Even their total cases for Canada (9731) is almost double the official numbers from the government (5591) (as of April 1).

Also their first listed case in Canada (Jan 24) is different that the official government record (Jan 15).
   3793. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: April 02, 2020 at 12:56 AM (#5935719)
70 people crammed into a small plane seems like an excellent test case for how virulent the virus really is--and that particular test case suggests that the probability of a person in their 20s contracting the coronavirus when exposed to it is in the range of 65-75%.
Unpossible. Torture guy tells me that without any lockdowns, only 2.2% become infected.
   3794. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: April 02, 2020 at 01:22 AM (#5935720)
This twitter thread matches my views on the UW projections.

[M]y biggest concern remains around the framing of the model. This is a model of successful suppression of the epidemic. Moreover if I understand correctly, it assumes strong measures by all states with efficacy (if not severity) comparable to Wuhan.

Not only that, it assumes efficacy equal to Wuhan going forward indefinitely (until vaccine/cure) after the initial suppression.

(It also assumes deaths are being fully counted right now, which they almost certainly are not.)
   3795. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 02, 2020 at 01:34 AM (#5935721)
Unpossible. Torture guy tells me that without any lockdowns, only 2.2% become infected.

Even at five times that, it's better than having people just sitting around, If they're not creating value, what's their justification anyway?
   3796. BrianBrianson Posted: April 02, 2020 at 05:29 AM (#5935731)
At least in Ontario, the healthcare system isn't set up to quickly produce numbers like this. It's been news that if you sum the numbers from the regional health authorities, you get something like twice the provincial numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Canada (no hatin') is the same.
   3797. Swedish Chef Posted: April 02, 2020 at 05:37 AM (#5935732)
Lots of test results came in today for Lombardy (6908), and only 23% positive. If those tests were all done recently (unclear) and were not selectively sampled somehow for negative tests (which is possible), it seems at most 20% of Lombardy can have been infected as of very recently.

If lots of people already had it and got better, wouldn't you expect to see the positive rate to go down?
   3798. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 02, 2020 at 07:21 AM (#5935734)
I don’t know, how are they determining who to test?
   3799. . Posted: April 02, 2020 at 07:27 AM (#5935735)
NYC closed playgrounds yesterday (*), so we're kind of going in the wrong direction here. Hard to really see what the path forward is going to be, other than people just getting sick of all of the restrictions and just saying \"#### it," which is the last way it should be happening.

We never should have been put in a position where hospital capacity was so narrow that a pandemic would have put us in a position to have to have done all these things. That was an egregious, terrible failure of planning and ideology, especially given the fact that we had a pandemic a mere 10 years ago.

None of the numbers are really very trustworthy at this point and we're months and months away, if ever, from COVID risk going to zero.

This is a game changer and a culture changer and barring a massive sea change in risk perception and aversion -- which is certainly possible -- we're a year away at least from pro sports in front of fans and their business model is actually in serious jeopardy. There is no chance COVID risk can be reduced to zero in something like a typical major league baseball game. It's an entirely unrealistic aim and if it remains the aim, we won't be seeing baseball in 2020 and probably even 2021. If we're sane, the kind of mass gatherings that define pro sport will be the very last thing to come back on-line -- but I doubt we are.

When they're closing the playgrounds, we aren't even at the end of the beginning, and it's been weeks of shutdown. Hard to see the path forward from here and no one seems to even be bothering to talk about one. And there has to be one, because the shutdown as it is now is entirely unsustainable. It's either going to break in an organized, rational way or it is going to break is a disorganized, irrational way. But it is not sustainable.

(*) And talk of closing the parks, which is just inconceivable and frankly absurd.
   3800. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: April 02, 2020 at 07:46 AM (#5935736)
Not the best news out of Spain

3/19   1326
3/20   1720   +398   +30%
3/23   2182   +462   +27%
3/24   2696   +514   +24%
3/25   3434   +738   +27%
3/26   4089   +655   +19%
3/27   4858   +769   +19%
3/28   5690   +832   +17%
3/29   6528   +838   +15%
3/30   7340   +812   +12%
3/31   8189   +849   +12%
4/01   9053   +864   +11%
4/02  10003   +950   +10%

Madrid
Date        total deaths    new deaths
March 10       21             13   (as of 9pm the prior evening, so would be prior to the shutdown)
March 11       31             10
March 12       56             25
March 13       81             35
March 14        ?              
March 15        ?
March 16      213
March 17      355            142
March 18      390             35
March 19      498            108
March 20      628            130
March 21      804            176
March 22     1021            217
March 23     1263            242
March 24     1535            272
March 25     1825            290
March 26     2090            265
March 27     2412            322
March 28     2757            345
March 29     3082            325
March 30     3392            310
March 31     3603            215
April 01     3865            262
April 02     4175            310
Page 38 of 81 pages ‹ First  < 36 37 38 39 40 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sebastian
for his generous support.