Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Way-too-early division predictions for 2020

When we make our preseason division picks, we expose ourselves to the possibility that injury strife and baseball’s general propensity toward the unexpected will render our choices fruitless, pointless and ridiculous.

This leads to two possible conclusions:

A. We should never make predictions. The chance of error is too high and the accompanying chance of us lowering our internal estimations of self-worth is too great.

B. If a bunch of stuff is going to change and make us look dumb anyway, we might as well make predictions even earlier!

I doubt these predictions will come true, but it will be a rather interesting year for the sport if they did….

QLE Posted: November 10, 2019 at 12:40 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: predictions

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 10, 2019 at 04:18 AM (#5900153)
The Reds to win the NL Central! Well, that made my day.
   2. Fancy Crazy Town Banana Pants Handle Posted: November 10, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5900164)
And the White Sox in the ALC... That just feels like it's trolling at that point.
   3. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: November 10, 2019 at 12:10 PM (#5900187)
I can see the WS in the ALC. They have a lot of young talent, the Twins were probably a fluke, the Tigers and Royals are years away, and the Indians are holding on by a thread. It's not likely, but it's all that out there.
   4. pikepredator Posted: November 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM (#5900197)
I can see the WS in the ALC. They have a lot of young talent, the Twins were probably a fluke, the Tigers and Royals are years away, and the Indians are holding on by a thread. It's not likely, but it's all that out there.

Right? Seems like any pick for the AL Central can be mocked.
   5. Dock Ellis Posted: November 10, 2019 at 05:42 PM (#5900231)
I don't think you have to squint to see the White Sox in the playoffs next year. Not impossible for Yoan Moncada and Eloy Jimenez to both be MVP candidates in 2020.
   6. Walt Davis Posted: November 11, 2019 at 07:15 PM (#5900431)
The Sox were my "potential sleeper" pick for 2019 so I might as well double-down for 2020. There is some potentially top-end talent here in Moncada, Eloy, Giolito, Cease, Kopech (if he gets healthy) and even Lopez is bound to have a season where things click. I've got my doubts that Tim Anderson will ever approach that level of usefulness again (399 BABIP) but since he did it once, he might do it again. McCann seems a pretty solid C. The core's reasonably solid.

Granted, outside of that the roster is pretty disastrous right now ... as in maybe Tigers' level of disastrous. A cheap Abreu would be good but there are so many holes to fill I'm not sure Abreu will come THAT cheap. So it's still hard to see them actually contending but it's not so hard to see Cle and Minn dropping and then it's mainly a matter of whose crap players are non-crap enough.
   7. "RMc", the superbatsman Posted: November 12, 2019 at 10:27 AM (#5900556)
Actually, the American League Central has been closed due to lack of interest. May we suggest one of our other fine MLB divsions near you?
   8. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: November 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5900589)
The Sox were my "potential sleeper" pick for 2019 so I might as well double-down for 2020. There is some potentially top-end talent here in Moncada, Eloy, Giolito, Cease, Kopech (if he gets healthy) and even Lopez is bound to have a season where things click. I've got my doubts that Tim Anderson will ever approach that level of usefulness again (399 BABIP) but since he did it once, he might do it again. McCann seems a pretty solid C. The core's reasonably solid.

Granted, outside of that the roster is pretty disastrous right now ... as in maybe Tigers' level of disastrous.

Well, OK, but you listed 4 starting pitchers (without mentioning Rodon, another injury question), C, SS, 3B, and LF. I think Abreu will be back, and will be at least cromulent. That leaves 2B, CF, RF, DH, and the pen. Sanchez can't hit, but he's a legit GG 2B, and has been 2 WAR or better for 3 straight years. Luis Robert hit .328/.376/.624 with 32 HR as a 21 YO across 3 minor league levels. Give him 10 more days in AAA to work on his D and he should slide into the CF slot by May at the latest. Sure, a whole lot has to go right, but there's a lot to work with there.
   9. Zonk Has Two Faces, Both Laughing Posted: November 12, 2019 at 02:45 PM (#5900605)
If it were possible to trade entire rosters/orgs (including minor leagues) -- would you do it as a Cubs fan with the White Sox? And vice versa?

Sure, sure... depends on whether you value 2020 period more or 2020/2021/2022... But I think it's a coin flip.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.