Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, April 10, 2021

WEEKEND OMNICHATTER for April 10-11, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: April 10, 2021 at 06:28 AM | 56 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 02:46 PM (#6012695)
Not a fan of the "fox track" for this season, the outs indicator is a lot less obvious than with fox.
   2. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: April 10, 2021 at 02:53 PM (#6012696)
DeGrom and Rogers are dealin'.
   3. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 02:55 PM (#6012697)
Infield single for Yadier Molina... (mind you, that would have been an infield single for a Zamboni machine, but still nice)
   4. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 02:56 PM (#6012698)
Dylan Carlson, a guy with a .906 ops for the season, just got his first single of the year. Gotta love early season stats.
   5. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 02:59 PM (#6012699)
I don't know how new these uniforms are for the Brewers, but I like their caps. The yellow and blue is working it.
   6. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:06 PM (#6012701)
Tyler O'Neil leaves the game with right groin tightness. You have to assume it's day to day as the injury happened before his final swing, but still it's a thing.. the Cardinals outfield is one of the weakest in baseball, and losing someone is not helping the team at all.
   7. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:18 PM (#6012702)
As a fan of my team, I look at the Cardinals offense and they could theoretically be great, but in reality too many wishes and hopes.. You can count on Arenado and Goldschmidt of course, and Dejong has more or less proven himself as a power guy, but beyond that nothing else is proven... I'm absolutely confident with Dylan Carlson, watching him play, there is no doubt he's a 110 ops+ player, but after that... there is a range of potential...
   8. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:29 PM (#6012704)
I know early season stats, but it's nice to see Yadier with a .360 average.
   9. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:34 PM (#6012705)
Nice defense from Milwaukee this inning, to be honest there have been about 3 good plays this game from both sides.
   10. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:38 PM (#6012706)
Carlos Martinez is being killed by poor defensive positioning...
   11. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:39 PM (#6012707)
moot point as he gives up a massive homerun.
   12. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:53 PM (#6012708)
two out rally... it's up to Dejong.
   13. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 03:54 PM (#6012709)
and he fails.... uggh that was horrible to watch.
   14. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:10 PM (#6012711)
Molina is just starting the season off pretty well. This is the Molina I expect to see when he has rest, the issue I have is that he doesn't take days off, and his offensive abilities are diminished when he play all the time.
   15. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:16 PM (#6012713)
deGrom allows strikes out 14 in 8 IP, allowing one run. Mets lose 3-0.

This is getting more and more absurd. I used to wonder whether he could get to 150 wins if he spent the rest of his career with the Mets. Now I'm wondering whether he'll even get to triple digits.
   16. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:16 PM (#6012714)
Sad to see C-Mart down from his blazing fastball days. What do you think of Knizner longterm? Possible starter or most likely just a back-up?
   17. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:18 PM (#6012715)
3-2 Cardinals losing right now, but it still feels like the Cardinals are going to win.
   18. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:21 PM (#6012716)
Sad to see C-Mart down from his blazing fastball days. What do you think of Knizner longterm? Possible starter or most likely just a back-up?

Starter if the team allows him to play... If I'm the manager I tell Molina he's taking a day off 2 out of 7 days a week for this season, (meaning Knizner get's two starts a week no matter what)
   19. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 04:22 PM (#6012717)
Not sure about that call.. ball hits the runner on third in foul territory (maybe) and they end the inning.

To clarify... runner on third, a foul ball hits the runner who is arguably in foul territory, the ump rules that that there is an out... arguing that he's in fair terriotory giving the hitter a single but declaring an out anyway... when the runner was in foul territory.
   20. The Duke Posted: April 10, 2021 at 05:27 PM (#6012722)
Cardsfanboy, you definitely see a different cardinals team than me. O’Neil isn’t any good, has never been any good and will never be any good. Oh, and he pulls muscles while he is meditating. Paul Dejong is almost a bad a hitter as Matt Carpenter since 2019, and they bat him 4th. Martinez should be put in the bullpen to replace woodford or simply be cut. He hasn’t been relevant for three years.

They should bring Gorman up to play 2nd, move edman to left field and give Thomas/Williams another few weeks in RF until Bader gets back. Bring Thompson/Liberatore/Oviedo to start. Andrew Miller should be traded at the first opportunity. Hopefully, Kim and/or Mikolas can come back and push the 4th and 5th starters back to the pen where they belong.

21. Walt Davis Posted: April 10, 2021 at 05:41 PM (#6012725)
I'm not sure which Brewers caps you were referring to CFB. They've used a yellow-blue thing off and on since at least the 70s (see Yount's b-r page). I see they also have (had?) one recently with a big M rather than the mb glove logo. I did see some blue/yellow uniforms the other day that seemed to work pretty well.

Ever since some of the A's caps and the Braves of the early 70s, for some reason I like two-toned hats. I liked that O's black/ehite/orange number too. Obviously it would be wrong for the Yanks, Cubs, Cards, Dodgers but almost any other team should think about it.
   22. Dingbat_Charlie Posted: April 10, 2021 at 05:48 PM (#6012726)
This is getting more and more absurd.

Very true, but Rogers was filthy today.

23. Brian C Posted: April 10, 2021 at 06:41 PM (#6012727)
Cubs lineup today, with batting averages entering the game:

Happ .118
Contreras .111
Rizzo .174
Bryant .250
Pederson .095
Baez .200
Heyward .190
Bote .067
Davies .000

I'm not sure exactly what my point is here, but seems bad that Davies' zeroes barely stand out.
   24. Brian C Posted: April 10, 2021 at 06:48 PM (#6012728)
Fortunately, Kris "Ty Cobb" Bryant doubled in a run after Happ walked to lead off, so at least they're making those rare hits count so far today.
   25. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 07:39 PM (#6012738)
I'm not sure which Brewers caps you were referring to CFB. They've used a yellow-blue thing off and on since at least the 70s (see Yount's b-r page). I see they also have (had?) one recently with a big M rather than the mb glove logo. I did see some blue/yellow uniforms the other day that seemed to work pretty well.

Ever since some of the A's caps and the Braves of the early 70s, for some reason I like two-toned hats. I liked that O's black/ehite/orange number too. Obviously it would be wrong for the Yanks, Cubs, Cards, Dodgers but almost any other team should think about it.

I'm referring to the ones they used today, and for the record I barely pay attention to these things, so it's possible they have been using them since the 70's, it's possible they are new... no clue to be honest, it's not something I generally notice or care about, just mentioned it because it reached my radar.
   26. cardsfanboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 07:49 PM (#6012740)
Cardsfanboy, you definitely see a different cardinals team than me. O’Neil isn’t any good, has never been any good and will never be any good. Oh, and he pulls muscles while he is meditating. Paul Dejong is almost a bad a hitter as Matt Carpenter since 2019, and they bat him 4th. Martinez should be put in the bullpen to replace woodford or simply be cut. He hasn’t been relevant for three years.

They should bring Gorman up to play 2nd, move edman to left field and give Thomas/Williams another few weeks in RF until Bader gets back. Bring Thompson/Liberatore/Oviedo to start. Andrew Miller should be traded at the first opportunity. Hopefully, Kim and/or Mikolas can come back and push the 4th and 5th starters back to the pen where they belong.

I know I see a different team than you, but that has nothing to do with my comment. I literally said you can count on Arenado, Goldschmidt, and that Dejong has proven himself, and that Dylan Carlson is a probable 110 ops+ hitter... beyond that I didn't say the offense is good or bad, I said it's theoretically good. And I'll stick by that concept.. theoretically if everyone reaches what they can potentially do, then I'm fine with it, I just don't see it.

Maybe Molina ends the year at 90 ops+ (and yes for a catcher that is a plus defender, that plays 130 games, that is what you would call an all star season) Maybe Edman puts up a 100 ops+ season while playing plus defense at second etc... and it's possible that O'Neil puts up a 110 ops+ with 20+ hrs and quality defense, etc...

As far as Martinez, me and you are definitely looking at different pitchers, he's at worse a fourth starter right now, in today's game alone he's shown a bit of sharpening up his delivery, still needs to improve how to conserve his pitch count, but the command and the speed is showing up. And his potential is far higher than anyone else we have not named Reyes.
   27. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 10, 2021 at 09:32 PM (#6012749)
Didn’t the Braves say they were at least going to stop encouraging fans to do the chop thing?
   28. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: April 10, 2021 at 10:34 PM (#6012753)
There was a runner's interference challenge in the Angels-Jays game. Runner goes out of the baseline to take out the turn at second base. The runner was nowhere near the base, but after reviews, the umpires decided to let everything go.

Why bother with the rules and reviews when none of them are going to get enforced?
   29. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 10, 2021 at 10:39 PM (#6012754)
Jonathan India has the fourth last name matching a country name, by my (unscientific) count. There have been 2 Frances and 1 Poland, of no renown.
Can you name the player who shares a name with the fourth country? This player has a career bWAR of 32.9.
   30. SoSH U at work Posted: April 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM (#6012756)
Mark Portugal
   31. SoSH U at work Posted: April 10, 2021 at 10:52 PM (#6012757)
You missed at least two: the obscure Tim Ireland and the well known Brian Jordan
   32. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: April 10, 2021 at 11:03 PM (#6012758)
   33. Snowboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM (#6012759)
Greg Holland?
   34. SoSH U at work Posted: April 10, 2021 at 11:07 PM (#6012760)
First names include Germany, Turkey, Chile and many Chads.
   35. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 10, 2021 at 11:13 PM (#6012761)
I missed Ireland and Portugal, Jordan was the guy I had thought of. Good catches.

Holland does not count, The Netherlands is the proper name.

I deliberately specified last name because of Chad, Turkey and Germany.
   36. Snowboy Posted: April 10, 2021 at 11:22 PM (#6012765)
Did you count Tim Jordan?
Wait, probably not. He played before there was a country named Jordan, so they could only nickname him "Big City"
   37. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 11, 2021 at 12:55 AM (#6012772)
There was a runner's interference challenge in the Angels-Jays game. Runner goes out of the baseline to take out the turn at second base. The runner was nowhere near the base, but after reviews, the umpires decided to let everything go.
From the highlight shows, it appears that the fielder was off the base when he took the throw, making the slide irrelevant, although the runner did kind of ‘curve’ into the bag, taking the long way.
   38. Walt Davis Posted: April 11, 2021 at 04:32 AM (#6012774)
If we're gonna have a chance at a "national" team, I think we're going to have to accept the English, Welsh, French, Germans, the lone Pole and maybe even Turk. (EDIT: sticking with surnames only)
   39. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 11, 2021 at 07:28 AM (#6012776)
Good catch, Snowboy.
   40. WKRP in Cincinnatus Posted: April 11, 2021 at 10:36 AM (#6012787)
What about Tyler Mahle?
   41. cardsfanboy Posted: April 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM (#6012797)
Tyler O'Neil placed on the IL (he'll be out for about 4 days, but the team didn't want to play short) Lane Thomas up to the majors and starting today, Woodford demoted, and Oviedo brought up to replace him...

Not really a fan of the Cardinals roster right now, too many question marks. I don't generally mind question marks at a few spots, but currently there are just way too many. Hopefully as the season progresses that picture will clear up or else this team isn't making the post season.

What I mean is that out of 8 lineup spots, there are only 4 as a fan of the team I feel I know exactly what I'll get over the course of the season 130 ops+ out of first, 120 ops+ out of third, 90 ops+ out of catcher and 100 ops+ out of second (and even that is a stretch) I do think that we'll see 110 ops+ out of a full season of Carlson, so there is that, when you jump to the pitching staff, you are stuck with one guy putting up a 120 era+ and another putting up 100 era+ and the rest is questionable, and nobody in the relief role is trustworthy. (oops forgot short, 20+ homeruns there, gold glove quality defense, but overall iffy rate of offense)
   42. salvomania Posted: April 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM (#6012798)
Not really a fan of the Cardinals roster right now

Arenado seems good.
Goldy seems good, though the HR power is gone.
Carlson looks like a keeper.
Every other hitter on the team is not good.

DeJong has been bad since mid-2019---his second half that year was horrible, and he was horrible last year
Molina is a 38-yr-old catcher coming off seasons with 88 and 82 OPS+ and has seen his WAR drop every year since 2016. Offensively, if he's not your worst projected regular hitter, you're in trouble.
Edman has had one good season, minors or majors, in his life (2019).
O'Neill can't hit MLB pitching, and has proven it over several hundred AB.
Justin Williams seems lost, and though he supposedly has power, he doesn't hit the ball in the air.

There's nothing of interest on the bench, maybe Knizner at C, who never gets to play.

Carlos Martinez is a mess---his last full year was 2017, and even then when he had the wicked stuff you had the sense he had no idea where the ball was going. Now the wicked stuff seems to be gone, but he still has no idea where the ball is going.

This is probably the least impressive Cardinals' team on paper since the early 1990s...
   43. cardsfanboy Posted: April 11, 2021 at 12:58 PM (#6012800)
Offensively, if he's not your worst projected regular hitter, you're in trouble.

I think that is the default assumption going into every season ever for any team that didn't have Piazza or Bench as their catcher... Your catcher is supposed to be the worst regular projected offensive player outside of teams who have hof offensive catchers. I'm fully on board with that thought process, it's a certainty, it's not really a weakness though as 90 ops+ out of the worst hitter in your lineup, would mean you have a pretty good lineup.... .the issue is that I have no certainty as a fan of the team of any of our outfielders, and Dejong is a power hitting monster who hits only homeruns while putting up a 100 ops+

Carlson is legit... nothing makes me doubt him as of right now, so when he settles into a position, that will give me a bit of certainty for the 5th guy (Edman is exactly what he should be, a number 7 or leadoff type of hitter putting up a 100 ops+, I'm fine there also, but the positions where we need offense doesn't really look to be shining... we have zero corner outfielders worth a damn)

The issue I'm really having is that even if the corner outfielders reach their potential, the ceiling on them isn't that high... At best O'Neil is a Joey Gallo, at best Williams is a Fowler, at best Lane Thomas is a Ludwick light type of player... We aren't talking about guys who are going to raise the roof, we are talking about guys who's ceiling is a four or five years as a starter for bad teams. When you are a fan and wishing for Bader to return even though he's sucked, but his potential is still higher than the rest of the roster, that is not something I call a warm and fuzzy.
   44. JJ1986 Posted: April 11, 2021 at 01:13 PM (#6012801)
It is pouring in Flushing.
   45. JJ1986 Posted: April 11, 2021 at 01:17 PM (#6012802)
Stroman really doesn't want to pitch in this weather.
   46. The Yankee Clapper Posted: April 11, 2021 at 03:11 PM (#6012812)
Stroman really doesn't want to pitch in this weather.
That seems like an understatement:
Marcus Stroman @STR0·
1h
This game should have never been started. Not smart at all. Those conditions put everyone at risk. Beyond happy no players on either side were injured. Hate that I have to wait another 5 days to pitch again. That’s a miserable feeling. However, #LFGM each and every day! @Mets
Probably never would have happened if they had a weather-savvy player like Mike Trout on the team.
   47. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: April 11, 2021 at 05:16 PM (#6012835)
Probably never would have happened if they had a weather-savvy player like Mike Trout on the team.
Note that the Angels game was postponed. The Power of Trout compelled it.
   48. Walt Davis Posted: April 11, 2021 at 05:27 PM (#6012838)
Kershaw & Scherzer in a 1-0 duel through 4. So tune in fast cuz the way teams are doing it this year, they're probably both out of there before they get to 75 pitches.
   49. Walt Davis Posted: April 11, 2021 at 05:43 PM (#6012840)
Our hearts bleed for you Cards fans!

Anyway, the whole NLC is full of question marks except maybe the Cubs where, alas, all our answers are bad. 26 RS through 9 games with 6 of those games against the Pirates.

While on many teams, you would expect the C to be the worst hitter, suggesting this is always the case unless you have a stud hitter as C goes too far. It might be nice if Contreras, career OPS+ 113, was the worst hitter on the Cubs but that's not realistic. Yadi had a long run as a 110ish OPS+ hitter.

It's not clear that's really true these days on average. The C position is usually worse than the 2B position (pretty weak hitters there these days) but not by a lot and the C averages are being pulled down severely by the backups who are (give or take) getting 40 starts a year. There are a lot of split-time 2B too but I wouldn't be surprised if the "average starting C" outhits the "average starting 2B" and then the backup Cs get outhit by a lot.
   50. Walt Davis Posted: April 11, 2021 at 05:44 PM (#6012841)
Kerhaw PH for so he's done through 6, 86 pitches. Scherzer due up 4th in the 7th if he makes it through the 6th -- he's up to a tiring 84 pitches already. DP on a smoked liner (would have been foul).

Speaking of IF who hit worse than Cs (not quite), the Nats have Jordy Mercer (career OPS+ 91) hittting 5th today in front of Casto (97).
   51. Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre) Posted: April 11, 2021 at 06:13 PM (#6012849)
Nats and Dodgers are keeping it moving. Two hours in, and they're into the 8th. On Friday, they finished off a 1-0 game in a tidy 2:31.
   52. stanmvp48 Posted: April 11, 2021 at 07:27 PM (#6012851)
Rockies scored 4 runs in three games in SF this weekend. Blackmon is 182/270/304. CJ Cron 148/281/222
   53. Walt Davis Posted: April 11, 2021 at 08:16 PM (#6012857)
Quit complaining ... coming into today the Cubs' team OPS was 604 ... and they went 5-31 with a walk today. But hey, at least on of those was a Javy HR so it was only 7-1.

Joc Pederson is leading the way with 120/179/240. Javy, Bryant and Marisnick (12 PA) are the only guys over 620. Even our pitchers are in on the act -- 0-12 with 10 Ks.
   54. The Duke Posted: April 11, 2021 at 11:11 PM (#6012870)
So what did everyone think about the Phillies run scored to win the game (other than, I can’t believe Ozuna arm is that bad ?)

Call on the field is safe, ump is looking right at it. I haven’t seen any replay that makes me believe he touched the plate first. He looks out but I will concede there is no hard evidence to overturn call.

55. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 11, 2021 at 11:15 PM (#6012871)
Looked pretty clearly out to me. His foot bounced in front of the plate and then was knocked to the left by the catcher. He never touched the plate.
   56. salvomania Posted: April 12, 2021 at 10:30 AM (#6012911)
Call on the field is safe, ump is looking right at it. I haven’t seen any replay that makes me believe he touched the plate first. He looks out but I will concede there is no hard evidence to overturn call.

After showing the same two inconclusive views over and over again, there was a view from behind home that conclusively showed Bohm's foot over the plate, then landing to the the right of it---what seemed very likely from the other views was indisputable from this view: he was out. It was a terrible replay review.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogSpare Parts: The first whispers of Tony La Russa-related discontent
(36 - 12:53am, May 07)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogLos Angeles Angels designate slugger Albert Pujols for assignment
(78 - 12:42am, May 07)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(3018 - 12:41am, May 07)
Last: Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb

NewsblogHer thoughts drifted, no towards her husband, but towards OMNICHATTER! for May 6, 2021
(53 - 12:22am, May 07)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(353 - 12:08am, May 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogFormer skipper Del Crandall dies at 91
(8 - 11:57pm, May 06)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogBaltimore Orioles' John Means pitches no-hitter vs. Seattle Mariners, misses perfect game with wild pitch on strikeout
(5 - 11:50pm, May 06)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-5-2021
(15 - 11:48pm, May 06)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogAstros complain to MLB about taunting, Yankees security bans Oscar the Grouch costume, report says
(9 - 11:25pm, May 06)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogMiami Marlins lose RHP Paul Campbell for 80 games, after positive test for anabolic steroid
(16 - 10:53pm, May 06)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13021 - 8:37pm, May 06)
Last: Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all

NewsblogIs Bartolo Colon the worst batter ever to hit a home run?
(19 - 8:24pm, May 06)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogImmaculate outing from Finnegan vs. Braves
(6 - 6:41pm, May 06)
Last: Harmon "Thread Killer" Microbrew

Sox TherapyTap the Brakes
(2 - 3:55pm, May 06)
Last: villageidiom

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1937 Results
(6 - 3:14pm, May 06)
Last: TomH

Page rendered in 0.4487 seconds