Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Weird Baseball Moments of the 2010s

Simply by virtue of its volume, any baseball season will show us material that we’ve never seen before. Some of that new material will be otherwise unremarkable. And some of it will be weird. There are different genres—silly, or surprising, or just dumb—but all are weird. So here’s the result of the last 10 seasons of that: Enjoy a sampling of the decade in weird.

So, would we rank these as among the weirdness moments in the sport in this decade, and, if not, what would we list instead?

QLE Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:55 AM | 20 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: that was the decade that was, weird

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Sweatpants Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5911401)
I thought that the botched robbery/fifth base would make it.
   2. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5911402)
That IFR one was a horrible call, but once called, it can't be reversed. It's like an inadvertent whistle, it affects the play in real time. It was a poor decision, and poorly executed by the ump (very late call). Sucked for the Braves, but the damage can't be undone.
   3. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:55 PM (#5911403)
My vote for #1 goes to the catcher throwing lane/bat flip inning.
   4. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: December 28, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5911412)
Without thinking hard I’m with Misirlou. The Insanity of that inning was just off the charts. Like any of about three things belong on this list by themselves.
   5. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 28, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5911415)
The throwing lane, the three straight errors by Andrus, the bat flip, the near brawl because Dyson misinterpreted what EE was doing...
   6. filihok Posted: December 30, 2019 at 01:46 AM (#5911671)
Cardinals and Red Sox walk off interference at 3B?
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5911701)
6. filihok Posted: December 30, 2019 at 01:46 AM (#5911671)
The next night, the game ended across the diamond with a pickoff at first (not even the tying run!).
   8. SoSH U at work Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:24 AM (#5911705)
It was a poor decision, and poorly executed by the ump (very late call).

I rarely disagree with you when it comes to umpiring, but I will here. It seemed to me that he called it the moment he saw Kozma was going to catch it comfortably, which is the right time to do it. There's no harm to the offense in a later call (unless it's simply called when it is obvious the ball won't be caught, which wasn't the case here). It gives them more information than they would have had without the call. It just turned out the shortstop, for no apparent reason, peeled off and let the ball drop.

9. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:27 AM (#5911707)
It seemed to me that he called it the moment he saw Kozma was going to catch it comfortably, which is the right time to do it.

That is the correct time to do it, but if that time comes so late in the play, you shouldn't do it. I wouldn't.

It just turned out the shortstop, for no apparent reason, peeled off and let the ball drop.

It's possible the umpire's call, as he was just about to catch the ball, distracted him.
   10. SoSH U at work Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:43 AM (#5911709)
That is the correct time to do it, but if that time comes so late in the play, you shouldn't do it. I wouldn't.

What is the harm, though?

Put this ball in the middle of the infield instead of left. If there's confusion among the infielders, and you hold off on making the call until one of them seems to have a bead on it, the late call is still helping the offense by letting them know they are not required to advance if the ball hits the grass, saving the auto DP the play is designed to prevent.

It's possible the umpire's call, as he was just about to catch the ball, distracted him.

I hadn't heard that as an explanation for Kozma's Konfusion, but I guess it makes as much sense as any. Not that an infielder should be distracted by an IF call.

11. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5911710)
What is the harm, though?

It's distracting.
   12. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5911712)
Put this ball in the middle of the infield instead of left. If there's confusion among the infielders, and you hold off on making the call until one of them seems to have a bead on it, the late call is still helping the offense by letting them know they are not required to advance if the ball hits the grass, saving the auto DP the play is designed to prevent.

OK, I'll grant that. But this was in medium deep LF, where no one is expecting the call. Everyone expects the call, or should, on a IF popup, regardless of fielder confusion. Except in the case of some extreme shift, an IF popup by definition can be handled by an infielder with ordinary effort.

Yes, by rule it was proper, but it came at a place where it is rarely called (I have never seen one so deep), and it came so late as to probably not help the runners, and possible harm the fielder.
   13. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:53 AM (#5911714)
And speaking of extreme shifting, what is the proper way to handle a fly ball to RF when the 2B is stationed in medium deep RF?
   14. McCoy Posted: December 30, 2019 at 10:55 AM (#5911715)
By catching it?
   15. SoSH U at work Posted: December 30, 2019 at 11:04 AM (#5911716)
It's distracting.

I never thought it to be before this play (certainly not as an infielder).

Yes, by rule it was proper, but it came at a place where it is rarely called (I have never seen one so deep), and it came so late as to probably not help the runners, and possible harm the fielder.

I think a change to the rule that modifies how deep it should be called would be fine, I just don't think this was nearly the issue Braves fans made it out to be. It was the correct call. And it was made at the time when the rule demands the umpire makes it. It just so happened that after the correct call was made, Pete Kozma went stupid.

(By the way, if Kozma peeled off the play because he was distracted by the call, then the IFF call helped the Braves).

The weirdest moment of the decade was the Segura play. The weirdest sequence of moments was the ALDS inning.
   16. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 11:22 AM (#5911721)
I never thought it to be before this play (certainly not as an infielder).

An infielder who was running his ass off away from the infield.

And it was made at the time when the rule demands the umpire makes it.

The rule mandates that it has to be a ball in which an IF could catch with reasonable effort. Inherent in that, is the implication that it doesn't even have to be an infielder. An obvious situation would be when you bring in an OF to be a 5th IF. Less obvious is this one. Since Kozma demonstrated that the could get to the ball with reasonable effort, the call is in play. But what if he peels off sooner and lets the LF make the play. Does the call get made then? Same exact circumstance, except it's the LF camped underneath at the last second. I think it doesn't, nor do I think it should, even though it fits the criteria. And if it shouldn't be called in that situation, I don't think it should in the other.
   17. SoSH U at work Posted: December 30, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5911723)
An infielder who was running his ass off away from the infield.

He stopped running his ass off, and began slowly backpedaling for it, the universal signal to all on the field that the play would soon be made with reasonable effort.

Does the call get made then?

It should. The question is whether the infielder could make the play with reasonable effort. Not whether the outfielder can also. If Kozma peeled off so much earlier than he did that you couldn't tell, then maybe not. But that's not this play.

On this play, once it became obvious that Kozma could make the play with reasonable effort, which it was, then the call was correct.
   18. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 30, 2019 at 11:51 AM (#5911724)
On this play, once it became obvious that Kozma could make the play with reasonable effort, which it was, then the call was correct.

I'll just end by saying it was a correct call by the letter of the rule. But the intent of the rule is to prevent an easy DP opportunity by intentionally letting the ball drop. From where Kozma was, there's no way to get an easy DP, and it's not guaranteed he could get even one force out. Therefore, it shouldn't have been called.
   19. SoSH U at work Posted: December 30, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5911729)
I'll just end by saying it was a correct call by the letter of the rule. But the intent of the rule is to prevent an easy DP opportunity by intentionally letting the ball drop. From where Kozma was, there's no way to get an easy DP, and it's not guaranteed he could get even one force out. Therefore, it shouldn't have been called.

Unfortunately, how easy it is to turn the double play is not mentioned in the rule (nor is the double play at all). The call was the correct one. If the only way its late application affected the play was it confused Kozma into peeling off (not sure why it would, but nor does anything else explain Kozma's behavior), then the call helped the offense, not hurt it.

20. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: December 30, 2019 at 01:28 PM (#5911758)

The next night, the game ended across the diamond with a pickoff at first (not even the tying run!).

And we only got to see a replay because Fox was too busy panning the crowds to actually show the game action.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.