Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 05, 2021

When everything is OMNICHATTER and the points don’t matter, for August 5, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: August 05, 2021 at 03:33 AM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: August 05, 2021 at 07:33 AM (#6032935)
How will some randomly chosen team lose today?
   2. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 05, 2021 at 12:41 PM (#6032962)
You didn't do it right. You got to put some extra sauce on it. Hit the caps lock key. It's like you're not even trying.
   3. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 05, 2021 at 12:47 PM (#6032967)
Well, when it's the Angels vs. the Rangers, who has the energy even to hit the caps lock key?
   4. Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer Posted: August 05, 2021 at 01:07 PM (#6032973)
How will the BELOIT SNAPPERS lose today?
   5. salvomania Posted: August 05, 2021 at 03:42 PM (#6033011)
The Angels' Dylan Bundy has thrown 5 shutout innings so far today for the Angels vs. the Rangers.

Over his last 13 outings dating to May 8 (nine of them starts), he had allowed 39 earned runs in 38.1 innings, good for a 9.16 ERA.

Is he righting the ship, or are the Rangers just terrible?
   6. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: August 05, 2021 at 04:19 PM (#6033026)
Seems unfair to the fans for the Cubs to trade away Rizzo, Bryant, and Baez and then still roll out Jake Arrieta in Colorado.
   7. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 05, 2021 at 04:32 PM (#6033030)
The Angels' Dylan Bundy has thrown 5 shutout innings so far today for the Angels vs. the Rangers....
Is he righting the ship, or are the Rangers just terrible?
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. The Rangers haven't been very patient chasing his off-speed stuff, so that 90-MPH fastball looks better than it is. They've hit a few balls pretty hard, but none of them found gaps.

The Rangers announcing crew is very good. I've enjoyed them this series.
   8. The Honorable Ardo Posted: August 05, 2021 at 04:34 PM (#6033031)
Tigers beat the Red Sox again. I can see Boston folding quickly - none of their starting pitchers look good besides Eovaldi, and Franchy Cordero trying to "play" first base is not working.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: August 05, 2021 at 05:13 PM (#6033044)
You didn't do it right.

Yeah, I was about halfway through typing it when I remembered the caps lock but I was too lazy to start over.
   10. Walt Davis Posted: August 05, 2021 at 05:17 PM (#6033045)
FEMALE PRESENCE IN THE CUBS BOOTH TODAY!! Yet more evidence of the woke cultural apocalypse of the Jill Biden/Kamala Harris dictatorship or something.

I have no idea who it is, I've got the sound down and the music on as I digest my sultana bran.
   11. The Honorable Ardo Posted: August 05, 2021 at 05:33 PM (#6033050)
Yet more evidence of the woke cultural apocalypse
Whose guiding spirit, of course, is a cranky, 79-year-old white guy from Brooklyn.
   12. The Honorable Ardo Posted: August 05, 2021 at 05:35 PM (#6033051)
Re: Dylan Bundy, I'd go with "the Rangers are terrible." They looked awful at Comerica Park, and that was before trading away Gallo.
   13. Walt Davis Posted: August 05, 2021 at 05:59 PM (#6033055)
1920s-sytle player name alert: Frank Schwindel now batting for the Cubs.
   14. Walt Davis Posted: August 05, 2021 at 06:33 PM (#6033060)
Geez, the Rangers really are awful on offense. They have only a 83 team OPS+ but it's incredible how much of that was Gallo. With him gone ... Adolis Garcia has a 111, Nate Lowe has a 104, Willie Calhouh (hurt now and for about half the season) at 95 ... and not another single batter has an OPS+ above that team average 83 until you get down to John Hicks (31 PA, no longer on the 40-man) and DJ Peters (7 PA).
   15. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 05, 2021 at 07:54 PM (#6033071)
How will some randomly chosen team lose today?

As Ardo pointed out earlier, the Red Sox got smoked again. They are back to their strategy of SP going 4 innings and giving up at least 3 runs and praying for the pen to hang on. Ardo points out correctly that they will fold like cheap suit. The team does not have enough decent SP to stop a skid, so here they are....the .500 team we all know they are. Got to say though, it was fun while it lasted.
   16. Howie Menckel Posted: August 05, 2021 at 09:31 PM (#6033080)
that dream of the 1986 Mets-Red Sox World Series redux is.... not trending, as the kids say
   17. Howie Menckel Posted: August 05, 2021 at 10:05 PM (#6033088)
Self-Immmolaters, take note: The Phillies take over the NL Least lead with a home win over the vanguished Mets on Friday night

#over #alwaysbeenover
   18. Howie Menckel Posted: August 05, 2021 at 10:28 PM (#6033089)
Chapman 5-3 lead for NYY but he has nothing.
man on 2nd, 1 out, and he walks the next guy on 5 pitches - check that, the blind mouse ump grants a charity strike on ball 4 and then the rookie whiffs.
he walks the next guy on 4 pitches... no, ball 3 was called a strike, somehow. infield single anyway.
then another walk - well, finally a walk.
then 3-0 to Haniger, then an actual strike (no idea why Chapman bothered. the pitch could have hit the backstop and gotten the Naked Gun STEEEEE-RIKE call).
then it is high, it is far, it is.... caught at the warning track. ballgame over.

these days, Britton and Chapman are like Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed dancing in It's a Wonderful Life as the dance floor gets split and the swimming pool looms.

pretty soon, everybody gets wet....
   19. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 05, 2021 at 10:49 PM (#6033096)
Yeah, if Haniger hadn't been ever so slightly in front of that pitch, and hadn't had his timing just the tiniest bit off, the Mariners would've been in the lead. But a win's a win.

Oh, and tomorrow they don't have a starting pitcher, not even that clown who gave up 4 home runs to the first 14 Orioles batters the other night. They're saving him for Saturday. Taillon's the only "real" (i.e. pre-season) starter who's not either on the IL or on Covid quarantine, and he pitched last night.
   20. salvomania Posted: August 05, 2021 at 11:23 PM (#6033101)
The Cardinals were pitching to the Braves, ahead 4-2 with two out in the 8th and nobody on... and proceeded to allow 6 runs before getting the third out.

Included in that mess were THREE bases-loaded walks; I think the Cardinals are up to 25 or so BLW this year; MLB record is 28.

They're also creeping up on the all-time hit batters mark, I believe they're 18 shy of the record, and should get there before Labor Day.

I've never seen a MLB team that simply can't throw strikes like this Cardinals team.
   21. Howie Menckel Posted: August 05, 2021 at 11:27 PM (#6033103)
I see carping on these threads about the Cardinals MGR, but I don't know anything.

I did check into this Braves-Cardinals game tonight and - wow.

STL leads 4-2 in the 8th, 2-run HR ties it, 2 on, 2 out.

here comes closer Reyes. ok.

if Chapman was watching, he would say, "Wow, he has NOTHING."

walk to load 'em up.
walk to tie the game.
walk to make it 5-4.
walk to make it 6-4.
21 pitches - and 4 of them for strikes. Nuke LaLoosh is watching and saying, "Hey, kid, mix in a strike once a while!"

finally STL MGR ends his Angry Birds game on his iPhone or the Matlock rerun ended on the TV in the clubhouse - or something.

first STL P to throw 3 straight bases-loaded walks, they say, since Danny Jackson in 1996.
but at least he was a starting pitcher.

Defensive substitution: Giovanny Gallegos replaces Genesis Cabrera at pitcher, batting 5th.
Ozzie Albies grounded out (ground ball to 1B).
Jorge Soler flied out (fly to CF).
Freddie Freeman singled (line drive to LF).
Austin Riley homered (fly to LF). Freddie Freeman advanced to score.
Dansby Swanson doubled (fly to RF).
Defensive substitution: Alex Reyes replaces Giovanny Gallegos at pitcher, batting 1st.
Defensive substitution: Edmundo Sosa replaces Tommy Edman at second base, batting 5th.
Defensive substitution: Tommy Edman to right field.
Adam Duvall was hit by a pitch.
Joc Pederson walked. Dansby Swanson advanced to 3rd. Adam Duvall advanced to 2nd.
Offensive substitution: Ehire Adrianza pinch hitting for Kevan Smith.
Ehire Adrianza walked. Dansby Swanson advanced to score. Adam Duvall advanced to 3rd. Joc Pederson advanced to 2nd.
Offensive substitution: Stephen Vogt pinch hitting for Edgar Santana.
Stephen Vogt walked. Adam Duvall advanced to score. Joc Pederson advanced to 3rd. Ehire Adrianza advanced to 2nd.
Ozzie Albies walked. Joc Pederson advanced to score. Ehire Adrianza advanced to 3rd. Stephen Vogt advanced to 2nd.
Defensive substitution: Justin Miller replaces Alex Reyes at pitcher, batting 1st.
Jorge Soler walked. Ehire Adrianza advanced to score. Stephen Vogt advanced to 3rd. Ozzie Albies advanced to 2nd.
Freddie Freeman lined out (line drive to 2B).

2 outs, nobody on
then
1B
HR 2 RBI
2B
HBP
BB
BB RBI
BB RBI
BB RBI
BB RBI
leaping catch with bags loaded by 2B Sosa to keep it to a modest 6-run uprising after getting 2 quick outs.

and this guy wants to be my latex salesman? I think not.
   22. salvomania Posted: August 05, 2021 at 11:32 PM (#6033104)
In one 10-batter span for Cardinals pitchers: 5 walks, 3 hit batsmen, 1 single, 1 out---on a spectacular grab.
   23. salvomania Posted: August 05, 2021 at 11:50 PM (#6033106)
Looking at Howie's timeline, it was even worse: add in Gallegos's last three batters, and it's a 13-batter stretch in which 12 batters reach.
   24. The Honorable Ardo Posted: August 06, 2021 at 01:02 AM (#6033113)
What the bleep was Mike Schildt thinking? That's a fire-able offense in my book. Can you imagine Whitey Herzog letting Reyes's implosion happen?

Reyes has now walked 43 batters this season. Look at the Rays. They don't have a reliever with more than 15 walks; heck, Rich Hill is the only pitcher on their staff with > 30 BB!
   25. Howie Menckel Posted: August 06, 2021 at 01:40 AM (#6033115)
didn't seem like they had a RP even throwing until after the 3rd consecutive walk.

as noted, I'm just flying by at 20,000 feet, so to speak - but no way I let my best reliever complete that cycle of disaster. weirdest usage of a closer I have ever seen*

*- every RP usage has to exempt both the 2001 and 2016 World Series. but aside from that....

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMets targeting A’s Billy Beane as candidate to run baseball operations
(22 - 10:18am, Sep 21)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogKansas City Royals' Salvador Perez breaks Johnny Bench's catcher record with 46th HR
(18 - 10:04am, Sep 21)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogRemorseful Thom Brennaman deserves to work again now; He’s already suffered 14 months of hell
(69 - 10:02am, Sep 21)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogIsraeli baseball team wins silver in European Championship, its best result ever
(3 - 10:00am, Sep 21)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4447 - 9:57am, Sep 21)
Last: Willard Baseball

NewsblogVeteran catcher Alex Avila to retire at end of year
(16 - 9:54am, Sep 21)
Last: salvomania

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14040 - 9:45am, Sep 21)
Last: sanny manguillen

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1894 Discussion
(9 - 9:02am, Sep 21)
Last: DL from MN

Sox TherapyIt's A Sprint, Not A Marathon
(23 - 8:36am, Sep 21)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogThe A’s Rebuild Is Coming
(10 - 7:52am, Sep 21)
Last: bfan

NewsblogShohei Ohtani has sore arm, might not pitch again this season
(39 - 7:44am, Sep 21)
Last: homerwannabee

NewsblogWEEKDAY OMNICHATTER wants you to believe in yourself, for September 20, 2021
(11 - 12:09am, Sep 21)
Last: Howie Menckel

Gonfalon CubsThis all sucks
(34 - 10:30pm, Sep 20)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogGuardians to promote outfielder-turned-reliever Anthony Gose
(17 - 10:20pm, Sep 20)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogKyle Boddy, director of pitching, among minor league staff leaving Cincinnati Reds
(3 - 9:49pm, Sep 20)
Last: Howie Menckel

Page rendered in 0.3208 seconds
48 querie(s) executed