Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Which MLB Teams Will Disappoint in 2020?

Every year features its share of surprise teams. Last year the Twins won 103 games, up from 78 the season before. On the flip side, the defending world champion Red Sox dipped from 108 wins in 2018 to a playoff-less, 84-win season in 2019. With that example in mind, which team is going to surprise in all the wrong ways this year? SI’s MLB staff weighs in

Riffing off of this: what differences would be present if this wasn’t just based on how the team will perform compared to last year, but looked at all the ways teams can disappoint us?

QLE Posted: February 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM | 23 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: disappointment, predictions, teams

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Walt Davis Posted: February 25, 2020 at 04:35 PM (#5926411)
All except the one that wins the WS ... which might disappoint years later when their shenanigans come to light.
   2. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: February 25, 2020 at 05:29 PM (#5926420)
Which MLB Teams Will Disappoint in 2020?

the phillies.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 25, 2020 at 10:30 PM (#5926455)
Based on early projections, the Astros. With all the crap they're facing, I don't think they come close to high 90s wins. I expect the A's to take the division.

And if the Yankees lose another pitcher, add them to the list.
   4. Dr. Vaux Posted: February 25, 2020 at 11:46 PM (#5926469)
The Astros are using the fan hatred as motivation. It's not going to affect their performance at all, no matter how much fans and media wish it would. Now, if their sign-stealing was helping them, then losing that will affect their performance. But fans won't.

That said, baseball being what it is, any team is more likely than not to disappoint if there are any kind of expectations. But given what the expectations seem to be and what the reality seems to be, my prediction is Cincinnati. If I had to bet, I would bet the Dodgers, simply because no team can be as likely to make the playoffs as the projections are making them out to be.
   5. Howie Menckel Posted: February 25, 2020 at 11:52 PM (#5926470)
Braves
   6. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: February 26, 2020 at 12:42 AM (#5926473)
Snapper said exactly what I was going to say.
   7. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: February 26, 2020 at 01:03 AM (#5926476)
The Mookie-less Red Sox will disappoint me in 2020 regardless of their record.
   8. jingoist Posted: February 26, 2020 at 09:51 AM (#5926494)
I doubt the Pirates or Orioles will make anybody’s list.
Those two teams can only delight fans by winning enough games to not be dead last in either league.
   9. Rally Posted: February 26, 2020 at 09:56 AM (#5926497)
HOW WILL THE ANGELS DISAPPOINT US IN 2020?
   10. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM (#5926503)
I saw some prediction (ZIPs, maybe) call the Phils an 82 win team. The Phans will be disappointed, how could getting rid of Gabe Kapler only gain them one win?

I've had arguments across the various social media when people claim that Kapler cost the Phils x (usually 6-8) games a season. I'd argue that although he's a goof and nobody's idea of a GOOD manager, he can't be that awful as he led the team to a 161-163 record with the roster of 2018 and the roster and all the injuries of 2019. Then I'd hear them sputter that "He batted Hoskins leadoff", "played Sean Rodriguez too much", "ruined Maikel Franco", etc. But never a direct response to the actual mediocre record matching closely to the mediocre talent available.
   11. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:30 AM (#5926507)
The Astros are using the fan hatred as motivation. It's not going to affect their performance at all, no matter how much fans and media wish it would.

That works for one week, not 6 months. They're going to get mentally worn out. You also assume it unites them, when it may divide the team between the major cheaters and the pitchers/non-cheaters who now have their achievements sullied. Anyone who liked Hinch is going to be pissed at the guys who effectively got him thrown out of baseball.

Also, don't discount the potential suspensions for Altuve and Bregman when MLB can prove they lied to the investigators, which they almost certainly did.
   12. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:48 AM (#5926513)
The Astros have already disappointed in 2020.
   13. reech Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:52 AM (#5926517)
I feel that the default answer to this question is always The New York Mets
   14. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM (#5926519)
You also assume
And yet...
That works for one week, not 6 months.
They're going to get mentally worn out.
it may divide the team between the major cheaters and the pitchers/non-cheaters who now have their achievements sullied
Anyone who liked Hinch is going to be pissed at the guys who effectively got him thrown out of baseball.
   15. Ron J Posted: February 26, 2020 at 11:40 AM (#5926525)
Further to #14, if there's one thing Dusty Baker does really well it's run an "us against the world" environment.
   16. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM (#5926532)
And yet...

I'm saying it's complicated. No one really knows how it's going to play out. My bet is it hurts them.

17. Cris E Posted: February 26, 2020 at 12:13 PM (#5926535)
The Astros are going to be hearing some of this all year long as fresh sets of fans finally get their shot to be clever or angry. They don't come to MIN until August, for example. It'll diminish over time, but it will not go away.
   18. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: February 26, 2020 at 12:54 PM (#5926550)
I've had arguments across the various social media when people claim that Kapler cost the Phils x (usually 6-8) games a season. I'd argue that although he's a goof and nobody's idea of a GOOD manager, he can't be that awful as he led the team to a 161-163 record with the roster of 2018 and the roster and all the injuries of 2019. Then I'd hear them sputter that "He batted Hoskins leadoff", "played Sean Rodriguez too much", "ruined Maikel Franco", etc. But never a direct response to the actual mediocre record matching closely to the mediocre talent available.

It's not just Kapler, it was the entire coaching staff in 2019. There are all these quotes now about how the pitchers were confused all year and never bought into what Chris Young was selling. It didn't help that Arietta was apparently telling them to not buy into what Chris Young was selling, but now at least everyone is on the same page. And I think the relationship with the hitting coach wasn't much better - sometimes it looked like hitters were following instructions to fall behind in the count every time because the #1, #2 and #3 priorities were taking a lot of pitches to get the starting pitcher out of the game early.
   19. Bhaakon Posted: February 26, 2020 at 12:58 PM (#5926553)

Oh, sure. There aren't now and never have been many managers with much of an effect one way or the other, and I have no reason to think that Kapler is one of them. Particularly with the current paradigm of the manager serving as the GM...er, President of Baseball Operations' sock puppet in the dugout, there's simply less variation, less agency, and and less opportunity to build value relative to colleagues in that kind of environment.

But arguably that means the manager is less responsible for field performance than ever, and his job is morphing more and more into a PR position as the main buffer between the clubhouse and media/fans. Which Kapler is...let's go with very much not good at.
   20. Swoboda is freedom Posted: February 26, 2020 at 01:42 PM (#5926565)
The Mets. It's always the Mets.
   21. Due to the leadership of Zonk... Posted: February 26, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5926568)
Further to #14, if there's one thing Dusty Baker does really well it's run an "us against the world" environment.

This. Very much this.

Of course, it can also turn rancid and counter-productive on a dime... but it does have an odd preservative shelf-life that tends ensure at least a season of good times.
   22. The Mighty Quintana Posted: February 26, 2020 at 02:42 PM (#5926582)
In terms of win reduction, gotta be the Indians (93 wins last year). Every year they've punted OF and been able to compensate. But with Kluber, Bauer, & Kipnis gone...and Carrasco coming back from cancer...and Lindor probably traded...that might be too many hurdles to overcome.
   23. Rusty Priske Posted: February 26, 2020 at 03:08 PM (#5926593)
The Yankees.

I mean, they are likely going to make the postseason, which I will find disappointing.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.