Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Will fans be allowed at MLB games in 2020 season? Astros owner says ‘that’s the plan’ in Texas

Houston Astros owner Jim Crane was asked about having fans at Minute Maid Park this season on Wednesday and told
reporters (including MLB.com’s Alyson Footer) “that’s the plan.”

“We still have to go through the player protocol. We’re still focused on that,” Crane said. “I think the intent at some point is to get the fans in the ballpark.” Crane added that having fans purchase tickets as well as concessions and merchandise at the ballpark is the “only thing we can do to counter” financial losses stemming from the pandemic.

Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker recently said Chicago could allow fans into Wrigley Field and Guaranteed Rate Field this season, with as many as 8,000 fans per venue being allowed (via NBC Sports Chicago).

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 25, 2020 at 10:32 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: coronavirus

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Bug Selig Posted: June 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM (#5959429)
And if you can't trust Jim Crane...
   2. JJ1986 Posted: June 25, 2020 at 11:38 AM (#5959430)
Houston definitely seems like the place they should be trying this.
   3. Astroenteritis Posted: June 25, 2020 at 12:51 PM (#5959452)
Hey, I'll go to Minute Maid...if me and three buddies are the only people allowed in the stands. Otherwise, no, not so much.
   4. TJ Posted: June 25, 2020 at 01:56 PM (#5959467)
Er, wasn't the reason the owners were giving for only a 60-game schedule was that there would not be fans in attendance so they would lose too much money?
   5. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 25, 2020 at 01:57 PM (#5959468)
Abbott earlier said no fans in enclosed stadia. That was taken to mean no for the Juice Box and no for the Tool Shed. I have not seen any further statements before this.

If that's really the plan, then it's further evidence that MLB was NOT bargaining in good faith with MPLBA, ads probably violates the protocols of the 101-page health agreement.
   6. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: June 25, 2020 at 03:48 PM (#5959492)
Maybe teams could limit it to the luxury suites. Each suite would have a limited number of attendees adhering to the covid "local gathering" limits. The suites would cost enough that the team could make money on it, without the masses showing up. A limited number of fans limits the amount of support staff.

7. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 25, 2020 at 04:19 PM (#5959499)
Maybe teams could limit it to the luxury suites.

I'd thought about that. Is it the look MLB wants? Yeah, probably ...
   8. Zach Posted: June 25, 2020 at 08:22 PM (#5959543)
The trash can banging would be awfully conspicuous with no crowd noise.
   9. Walt Davis Posted: June 25, 2020 at 08:58 PM (#5959551)
Maybe teams could limit it to the luxury suites

You're sort of onto something there I suspect -- this gives them an excuse not to refund season ticket holders, at least for those 30 games (or however many they are allowed to have fans at). We're allowed 8,000, lucky you, you are one of our 6,000 season ticket holders. Here are the 30 tickets we're charging you for and sometime before Hell freezes over, we will refund the other 51.
   10. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM (#5959614)
No fans in San Francisco this season, but Giants season ticket holders can have their image on a cutout figure in the stands:
In a letter sent to season-ticket holders Thursday, the Giants announced that games at Oracle Park will be played without fans due to the coronavirus pandemic, but the team will allow season-ticket holders to send in an image of themselves to be placed onto a cutout that will be displayed in the stands during home games.
. . .
The cutouts will be made of weatherproof material and will be placed as close to the season-ticket holders' seats as possible, according to the Giants. For a $99 fee, the team is also giving the option for non-season-ticket holders to have their cutout images displayed in the stands.
No word yet on whether Marlins Man will get a discount if he signs up for a cutout presence at multiple ballparks.
   11. rpackrat Posted: June 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM (#5959635)
Houston has the largest medical center in the world. Houston ICUs reached capacity yesterday. Allowing fans seems like a great idea.
   12. Walt Davis Posted: June 28, 2020 at 05:05 AM (#5959929)
They do the cutout thing here in Oz. A couple of issues in week 1 ... somebody thought it would be funny to upload a photo of Britain's most prolific serial killer and then some "comedy sports" show thought it would be funny to make fun of that by doing a bit where they had Hitler among the photos. I haven't noticed any stories about that happening again so I guess they are somehow screening those things out. (Sure just human review should catch Hitler, I found it rather disturbing that some random TV viewer seemed to know what Britain's most prolific serial killer looks like and I'm sorta hoping that is not widespread knowledge that some min wage guy in charge of reviewing thousands of uploaded photos knows. ... Maybe they use facial recognition software.)
   13. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: June 28, 2020 at 08:37 AM (#5959930)
Someone tweeted out a picture of his own personal cut out at a game...sitting next to a cutout of Osama Bin Laden.
   14. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 28, 2020 at 09:39 AM (#5959935)
If Newsom allowed it and the team implemented temperature checks at the door and a mask policy (could even give out promotional masks at the games!) I would go to a Dodger game this year. Outdoor transmission is fairly rare, though sitting in the same place and shouting are risk factors.
   15. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 28, 2020 at 11:08 AM (#5959948)
   16. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 28, 2020 at 04:48 PM (#5960033)
Just checked Abbott's 26 June Order.

Outdoor stadia may have up to 50 percent capacity (Cowboys, college football), but not the juice box of the grill:

10. for purposes of this executive order, facilities with retractable roofs are considered indoor facilities, whether the roof is opened or closed,

which is what I recalled from earlier in the year.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.