Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Yankee Stadium, Citi Field will open at 20 percent capacity to begin 2021 season

The Yankees are “hopeful that testing requirements can be eased by mid-May 2021” and plan to continue to use Yankee Stadium as a COVID-19 vaccination site during the regular season. Citi Field is also currently being used as a COVID-19 vaccination site.

Fans will have to adhere to these guidelines in order to attend games at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field:

Take a COVID-19 test with negative results or provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination
Each fan will be required to have their temperature checked upon entry
All fans two years and older must wear a face mask, even if they received a COVID-19 vaccine
Seating will be in pods that will range from 1-8 guests to encourage social distancing (pods will be 1-6 fans at Citi Field)

In an effort to be contactless, all tickets for games at both stadiums are going to be mobile. In addition, all concession and retail sales at the stadiums will be cashless and fans will have to use credit or debit cards for purchases.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 18, 2021 at 06:20 PM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: covid-19, mets, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Duke Posted: March 18, 2021 at 10:02 PM (#6009152)
Why would you need to wear a mask if you’ve been vaccinated ? It’s just some kind of political theatre at this point - like any government program it’s impossible to get rid of once implemented.

By July 4th, assuming we continue on with vaccinations at the current rate, there simply won’t be a need for any of this and yet govt persists in trying to convince everyone we are all going to die of Covid.

If you look at basic math: 30 million people have tested positive and most antibody studies (and the CDC ) think actual infected people are anywhere from 3X to 8X. Let’s use 4X. That means 120 million people have had it with almost zero reinfections. As of today, the stats show about 110 million people have at least one shot. We are vaccinating about 2.4 million a day BEFORE J &J is distributed. That means we will likely be at 3 million a day or more soon. If you carry that math to July 4th, you will have 300 million people give or take that have had it or been vaccinated. Now, it’s hard to know how many people who have had it are also getting the vaccine so there is some double-counting. And one shot is not the same as two shots but it’s largely eliminates your chance of death.

But the bottom-line is that this thing is all but over and we are acting like we are still in the midst of a major crisis. All the stadiums should be open by july 4th.

And we ought be rid of those infernal masks by then as well.

Live free or die !
   2. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM (#6009155)

Why would you need to wear a mask if you’ve been vaccinated ?

Because they will be allowing unvaccinated people in the stadium, and they don't want to have to monitor who's vaccinated vs. who isn't, and who's allowed to go maskless and who isn't. It's not practical at this point.

As of today, the stats show about 110 million people have at least one shot.

115 million total doses have been administered, but only 75 million people have had at least one shot, FYI.

We are vaccinating about 2.4 million a day BEFORE J &J is distributed. That means we will likely be at 3 million a day or more soon.

FWIW, I got the J&J shot over a week ago. I guess production will continue to ramp up further but it's already out there.

Anyway, I think officials are being overly cautious right now because it's easier to open things up further after telling people to be careful than it is to pull back after you've told everyone that things would be fine after they got the shot. I agree that by some point over the summer things should largely be reopened. Once they see that the cases and deaths are really dropping off, they'll further relax restrictions.
   3. Rough Carrigan Posted: March 18, 2021 at 10:38 PM (#6009156)
Hey! You don't want to end up like all those people who went to spring break in Florida a year ago and all died- oh, yeah, that's right, nothing happened despite the gleeful hysterics of the serf wannabes who said the revelers would all die. But listen to them this time.

4. Ron J Posted: March 18, 2021 at 10:52 PM (#6009157)
#3 You're making the same stupid mistake #1 makes. It's not just thepeople themselves who are at risk.

Or to put it another way, they may not have killed themselves, but a certain number of them killed grampa.

It's one reason that the deaths lag upticks in infections. It takes time but always reaches the more vulnerable.
   5. Mayor Blomberg Posted: March 18, 2021 at 10:54 PM (#6009158)

If you really want to understand why, just read Fauci's schooling of Rand Paul. But you don't.

My heart goes out to the people who are going to be checking at the gates and the #### they'll have to put up with,
   6. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 18, 2021 at 11:58 PM (#6009163)
I agree that by some point over the summer things should largely be reopened.
We could be in pretty good shape before summer. Here’s an admittedly optimistic forecast that cites a couple of studies suggesting that there may have been roughly twice as many asymptomatic or undiagnosed Covid cases as those reported. With ~ 30 million reported cases, that would mean ~ 90 million people have been infected and now have antibodies. 75M vaccinated & 90M with antibodies is a good start on herd immunity (ignoring the overlap in those groups for the moment). We’ve been regularly hitting ~ 2.5M vaccine doses per day recently, and should be at 3M soon. We’re already at 62% of the prioritized population - to the extent those folks were more vulnerable or more likely to spread the virus, their vaccination should have a disproportionate effect. A month of distributing 3M or more doses a day gets us close to herd immunity if it kicks in around 70% and if the 1st dose is as effective as some indications suggest. Time will tell, but ramped up vaccine distribution could make things look different in April, even more by the end of May.
   7. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2021 at 08:14 AM (#6009172)
And we ought be rid of those infernal masks by then as well.
Live free or die !

Hopefully we can also stop using oven mitts by then.

Despite my many issues with YC, I'd like to say that he's been - unless I've missed something - generally sane, useful, and informative on the OVID threads.
   8. Nasty Nate Posted: March 19, 2021 at 08:35 AM (#6009174)
Take a COVID-19 test with negative results or provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination
By comparison, this is not a requirement for Fenway Park admission. Although Fenway is starting at 12% capacity, not 20%.
   9. Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer Posted: March 19, 2021 at 08:47 AM (#6009176)

If only there were some way to answer this question easily.
   10. The Duke Posted: March 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM (#6009205)
6. Says exactly what I said above. The crisis is all but over. Just look to Israel which is about a month ahead of us to see how it will look soon for us. My estimate of July 4 is conservative. The incidence of disease circulating by memorial day will be very small and virtually no one who actually gets it will be hospitalized or die because the most vulnerable will be immune.

The various various dem governors and administration are trading on fear largely because they have to justify all the covid spending and support all the public school teachers in big cities who never want to go back to work again

Fauci’s an idiot. Just another attention-seeker who sees his 15 minutes of fame disappearing. This is the guy who told us not to wear masks when wearing one would have actually mattered. But feel free to believe what he says.
   11. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: March 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM (#6009206)

Despite my many issues with YC, I'd like to say that he's been - unless I've missed something - generally sane, useful, and informative on the OVID threads.

I appreciated his take on "Metamorphoses", but some of his comments on the "Ars Amatoria" were just nuts.
   12. base ball chick Posted: March 19, 2021 at 09:34 PM (#6009296)
ida know about that Duke

cases are increasing here in houston. the estimates from doctors are not - 2 no-symptomatic cases for each one with symptoms. they have no earthly idea what percent of the population who never had symptoms and was never tested or had any family member living with them tested or symptomatic, actually had Covid. antibody tests are usually negative after 3 months anyhow so there is no way to know

there are still tons of people who want to get the disease/pretend there is no such thing as this disease and refuse to get vaccines and that is a big chunk of folks and so seeing as how most of the world is not vaccinated, it's gonna keep on spreading.

it's ridiculous to only be counting dead/not dead from covid no matter how close to dead "not dead is", or, in hospital/not in hospital, not caring how sick or sick for how long someone NOT in hospital is
   13. The Duke Posted: March 19, 2021 at 10:54 PM (#6009306)
I’m predicating my assumptions on the fact that most people will get vaccinated. Should millions choose not to, that’s a slightly different story but the demand for vaccines in the 65+ age group looks very high here in Georgia.

It doesn’t help having the entire EU screwing up vaccine messaging and rollout. Everyone in the world needs to get religion on this so that new variants don’t override the vaccine. I’m an optimist - hopefully I’m right.
   14. base ball chick Posted: March 19, 2021 at 11:56 PM (#6009311)
duke

i sure3 do pray you are right
   15. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: March 20, 2021 at 12:15 AM (#6009312)
Let's say there's a 40,000-seat stadium running at 25% capacity, and all 10,000 tickets are sold in advance. Are you still let in if you and a friend show up with the MLB Lifetime Pass?
   16. nick swisher hygiene Posted: March 21, 2021 at 11:35 AM (#6009439)
“ all the public school teachers in big cities who never want to go back to work again”

Yep. Lazy #############. Just care about their wallets, not kids. Replace them with robots, we’d have better schools.

Since the Duke’s observation was, shall we say, off topic and political, I’ll allow myself one observation: one of the less-observed differences between the US and other countries is the sheer contempt for public school teachers (expressed in different styles of course) expressed across the political spectrum.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogThe Guardians of OMNICHATTER!, for July 26, 2021
(11 - 2:55am, Jul 27)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(2996 - 1:23am, Jul 27)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogA's near deal for Cubs lefty Chafin
(3 - 12:29am, Jul 27)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogThe inside story of how Cleveland Indians became Cleveland Guardians
(43 - 12:28am, Jul 27)
Last: rr: cosmopolitan elite

NewsblogNew York Yankees acquire reliever Clay Holmes from Pittsburgh Pirates for 2 minor league infielders
(1 - 11:55pm, Jul 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMajority of Dodgers players do not want Trevor Bauer to rejoin team, per report
(5 - 11:07pm, Jul 26)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogPadres Discussing Eric Hosmer Trades
(16 - 10:27pm, Jul 26)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogHideo Nomo Paved The Way For A Generation Of Damn Good Japanese Ballplayers
(5 - 9:59pm, Jul 26)
Last: Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre)

NewsblogSan Diego Padres acquire All-Star second baseman Adam Frazier from Pittsburgh Pirates, sources say
(8 - 9:13pm, Jul 26)
Last: Buck Coats

NewsblogSome players say Los Angeles Angels failing in treatment at minor league level, as GM vows to address it
(22 - 8:57pm, Jul 26)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogMLB will try encrypted transmitters and bone conduction to stop sign stealing
(15 - 8:47pm, Jul 26)
Last: Baldrick

NewsblogRays Trade Rich Hill To Mets
(6 - 6:49pm, Jul 26)
Last: Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13472 - 5:08pm, Jul 26)
Last: Tony S

NewsblogBoston Red Sox end Domingo German's no-hit bid in 8th inning, storm back to beat New York Yankees
(6 - 2:38pm, Jul 26)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-22-2021
(38 - 1:02pm, Jul 26)
Last: bobm

Page rendered in 0.2969 seconds
48 querie(s) executed