Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, November 07, 2021

Your 2021 Gold Glove Award winners are ...

American League Gold Glove winners

C - Sean Murphy, Athletics

1B - Yuli Gurriel, Astros

2B - Marcus Semien, Blue Jays

SS - Carlos Correa, Astros

3B - Matt Chapman, Athletics

LF - Andrew Benintendi, Royals

CF - Michael A. Taylor, Royals

RF - Joey Gallo, Rangers/Yankees

P - Dallas Keuchel, White Sox

National League Gold Glove winners

C - Jacob Stallings, Pirates

1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Cardinals

2B - Tommy Edman, Cardinals

SS - Brandon Crawford, Giants

3B - Nolan Arenado, Cardinals

LF - Tyler O’Neill, Cardinals

CF - Harrison Bader, Cardinals

RF - Adam Duvall, Marlins/Braves

P - Max Fried, Braves

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 07, 2021 at 10:06 PM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: gold glove award

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 07, 2021 at 11:09 PM (#6051837)
It seems like these awards lean HEAVILY on Defensive Runs Saved. I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm rather agnostic on that, but it seems to correlate strongly with DRS and no other metrics, maybe I'm wrong.
   2. Sleepy wants to be a Special Master Posted: November 07, 2021 at 11:29 PM (#6051839)
Yadi was robbed. And I guess Edmundo Sosa and Dylan Carlson didn't have enough innings, or something?

J/K, but great show, STL.
   3. salvomania Posted: November 07, 2021 at 11:30 PM (#6051840)
Who'd've guessed that the Cardinals would have 5 Gold Glove winners but Molina wasn't one of them?

I agree with the others except for Arenado; he was good defensively---not great---in his first season with the Cardinals, and McMahon seemed to have a better season.
   4. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: November 08, 2021 at 12:07 AM (#6051842)
After 1/2 season, Cardinals realise best to not give out free passes by beaning everyone, just get some guys to throw strikes and let them hit it within the confines of the ground and lo and behold, our guys will catch it!

It's like the late 60's early 70's Orioles all over again.
   5. Howie Menckel Posted: November 08, 2021 at 12:13 AM (#6051843)
McMahon seemed to have a better season.

fwiw, McMahon had 95 starts at 3B and 44 at 2B (not sure if that matters).
   6. GregD Posted: November 08, 2021 at 01:27 AM (#6051846)
If they leaned on runs saved, wouldn’t Olson have beaten out Gurriel? Or am I reading it wrong?
   7. TomH Posted: November 08, 2021 at 08:05 AM (#6051848)
SINCE the 2021 Cardinals had 5 GG winners, PLUS Yadier Molina.. and
SINCE the 2021 Cardinals played in a distinct pitcher-friendly park.. and
SINCE Adam Wainwright had very nice traditional stats of 17 wins (2nd in NL) and 3.05 ERA (10th) and 206 Ip (3rd) and .708 WPCT (4th).. and
SINCE the Cardinals made the playoffs and started Wainwright in the WC game
SINCE Wainwright's FIP (expected ERA, given W/H/HR allowed) is much higher than his ERA, inferring possible good fortune on timing of said W/H/HR.. and
SINCE Wainwright was essentially the "clear ace" on the Cardinals staff

can we conclude that Wainwright's 2021 season is likely to be massively overrated by many; likely collecting a few Cy Young votes that will be entirely undeserved?

This looks like the classic 1970s Orioles where some guy like McNally or Cuellar or Dobson or Stone has a ooh-shiny set of ##s, which are mostly based on his teammates and park.
   8. The Duke Posted: November 08, 2021 at 08:13 AM (#6051850)
I like that they give awards for each OF position. It feels to me like the gold gloves are a MUCH better reflection of reality than we’ve ever seen. Kudos to Jacob Stallings. I watched a lot of him this year and he was excellent. Tyler O’Neill is amazing too. He looks wonky out there but he covers an amazing amount of ground.
   9. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: November 08, 2021 at 09:08 AM (#6051854)
Do the trophies themselves really have to look like spray painted baseball gloves? (Are they just spray painted baseball gloves?) I mean, know that the whole point of the gold glove award is for Rawlings to sell more gloves, but the trophies are not things that I'd want to see on my mantle. How about a bronze of Brooks diving over the third base line, or Willie catching the ball over his shoulder? Just anything other than spray paint.
   10. Rough Carrigan Posted: November 08, 2021 at 09:14 AM (#6051856)
Good for Benintendi. I thought he was a good outfielder when he was with the Red Sox but I guess I was never thinking "gold glover". I remember noting that he seemed to be constantly stretching, like Ichiro Suzuki.
   11. I Am Not a Number Posted: November 08, 2021 at 09:54 AM (#6051860)
Good for Benintendi

It was slim pickings in the AL with only three guys playing LF in 100 games.
   12. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 08, 2021 at 10:18 AM (#6051863)
Benny was third among AL LF with at least 500 innings in Defensive Runs Above Average at -0.9
   13. Jack Sommers Posted: November 08, 2021 at 02:30 PM (#6051906)
It seems like these awards lean HEAVILY on Defensive Runs Saved. I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm rather agnostic on that, but it seems to correlate strongly with DRS and no other metrics, maybe I'm wrong.

DEFINITELY.

I even spoke with Tango about this on twitter 10 days ago. The Fielding Bible Awards weigh heavily in the GG voting, and the FB Awards are basically the rDRS awards

LINK

14. Walt Davis Posted: November 08, 2021 at 02:57 PM (#6051910)
If memory serves, DRS (via the FB) is a major part (maybe the only part) of setting the finalists and is key info supplied to voters. I think the voters then get the last say from the finalists. Anyway, there was some agreement many years ago now. Mainly the fault of us nerds if I recall because we complained about some egregious decisions. And The Fielding Bible was such a good title that it immediately became gospel (hah!) among sportswriters, etc. I think originally it was some formula that weighed FB, the vote and maybe some other stuff to come up with a winner then they switched to this "we'll give you the candidates, you vote" approach.

YMMY based on, y'know, actually checking facts rather than relying on my memory.
   15. Jack Sommers Posted: November 08, 2021 at 03:23 PM (#6051919)
Thanks for the update....I wasn't aware FB supplied the finalists. I was thinking back to the weighted system. I'll look for more info. However it's being done, rDRS is strongly correlated to FB awards, and by extension to both GG finalists and GG final results.

Other than create my own metrics, which I have neither the interest or ability to do, when I really want to dive deeper on a guy's defense, I look at all 3 of rDRS, UZR, and OAA (and OAA Runs) and just average them out , and then ignore anything that falls between +3 & -3 and figure the player is just "average" if within that range. They have to get to +4 or -4 in the 3 metric average before I start to "believe" the numbers are really indicating much of anything.

The only team I see enough of to make a reasonable judgment from watching is the D-backs, as I watch almost every inning of every game....(glutton for punishment). So I'm seldom surprised by a positive or negative average number, unless it gets extreme. But even there, it can be so deceiving, since I'm only seeing about 1/4 of their games live from the press box and the rest on TV

For the rest of the league I use that average whenever I have the need or inclination to really dig deeper on a player's defense, and don't trust my lying eyes very much.

16. Walt Davis Posted: November 09, 2021 at 03:41 PM (#6052145)
#15: Save that gratitude. According to Wiki I'm wrong. It's still some formula which is "25% sabermetric componeent and 75% vote."

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogHector Lopez, Who Broke a Baseball Color Barrier, Dies at 93
(20 - 7:34pm, Oct 03)
Last: Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome

NewsblogThree impacts of baseball's new 12-team postseason format
(22 - 7:30pm, Oct 03)
Last: Ron J

Newsblog2022-23 Preseason NBA thread
(361 - 7:30pm, Oct 03)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogShohei Ohtani to make $30 million in 2023, record amount for arbitration-eligible player
(15 - 7:14pm, Oct 03)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogRoger Maris Jr. blasts MLB, says Aaron Judge’s potential 62nd home run should be single-season record
(122 - 7:06pm, Oct 03)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogTony La Russa expected to announce retirement Monday as White Sox manager
(15 - 7:02pm, Oct 03)
Last: asinwreck

NewsblogTo dream the impossible dream - and then decide it's time to let it go
(49 - 5:32pm, Oct 03)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogAtlanta Braves sign RHP Charlie Morton to 1-year, $20 million deal for 2023
(4 - 5:16pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(304 - 5:14pm, Oct 03)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogThere's a new longest last name in MLB history
(15 - 4:19pm, Oct 03)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogTrevor Bauer’s defamation case against accuser’s former attorney could be thrown out
(30 - 3:40pm, Oct 03)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(2543 - 2:26pm, Oct 03)
Last: Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of September 26 - October 5, 2022
(201 - 9:23am, Oct 03)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogOT - October 2022 College Football thread
(48 - 1:49pm, Oct 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness