Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Monday, July 20, 2020

The Perfect Schedule - Games 101-110

The Sox keep it going running their record to 110-0.  While the real thing will kick off on Friday the Perfect Schedule version of the Sox just keep on keepin’ on.  The toughest call here was game 104 which could have been David Ortiz’ walk off against Fauxsto Carmona.  I went with a more personal memory though.

Game 101 - Sox 8 at Yankees 6 - 2012 There wasn’t a lot to cheer about in 2012 but The Pedro Ciriaco Game was one thing. The Sox blew a 6-1 lead but Ciriaco smoked a go ahead triple and scored on a sac fly in the ninth to give Andrew Miller the win.
Game 102 - Sox 6 at Rangers 4 - 1980 - Looks like Don Zimmer was playing a bit of creativity.  I’m not sure what happened but with two outs in the ninth after a Jim Sundberg single pitcher Tom Burgmeier moved to left field replacing Jim Rice and Skip Lockwood entered the game as pitcher batting in DH Gary Allenson’s spot.  Lockwood got Not That Dave Roberts to foul out to Carlton Fisk earning the final save of his career.  Glenn Hoffman was the offensive star going 2 for 2 with 4 RBI.
Game 103 - Yankees 4 at Sox 5 -  2003 - The Sox won a walk off when David Ortiz pinch hit for Damian Jackson and banged one off the Monster plating Jeremy Giambi.  I remember being at work during this Saturday afternoon game and I was driving home and as I pulled off route 2 Ortiz got the hit.  I can only imagine what people on that side road thought as I screamed my fool head off.
Game 104 - Blue Jays 1 at Sox 7 - 1992 - This was a fairly basic game as Roger Clemens outdueled youngster Juan Guzman.  When my friends and I got our licenses in 1987 we would buy tickets to 15-20 games and sit in the bleachers.  This was one of those random games we purchased but we remember it to this day because in the third inning Billy Hatcher was standing on third…then suddenly broke for the plate sliding in safely.  I’m pretty sure I missed the next inning and a half as we just kept looking at each other saying “Billy Hatcher stole home.” http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/hatcherzone/
Game 105 - Sox 14 at Rangers 7 - 2003 - Trailing 4-2 after 6 the Sox struck for 7 runs in the 7th and 5 more in the 8th.  The noteworthy part of that was eight of the RBI belonged to one man as Bill Mueller hit grand slams from each side of the plate.  This game is also intriguing as the rare knuckleballer vs. knuckleballer matchup as Tim Wakefield stared down R.A. Dickey.
Game 106 - Sox 9 at Other Sox 0 - 1986 - The Good Sox chased Other Sox starter Floyd Bannister before he recorded an out and coasted to the big win with Bill Buckner driving in four.  Bruce Hurst spun a gem with a complete game 3 hit shutout.
Game 107 - Twins 10 at Sox 11 - 1997 - Leading 7-5 going to the 8th Heathcliff Slocumb did what he did best and gave it up in the 8th putting the Sox in a 10-7 hole.  No problem.  Reggie Jefferson homered to make it 10-9 and Troy O’Leary’s two run triple walked the Sox off.
Game 108 - 1981 - Sox 6 at Indians 2 - 1981 - The game itself was fairly non-descript, Mike Torrez notched the W against future Cy Young winner John Denny and Luis Aponte picked up his first career save.  Offensively Dwight Evans slugged two homers to earn a share of the home run title.  Ah, there is what makes this interesting.  No Red Sox season has ever ended with a game number as low as 108…a “record” that will be broken this year.
Game 109 - Sox 11 at Tigers 9 - 2004 - Hey, some years it all works.  On this day in Detroit Wake became the third and last pitcher (so far) to surrender 6 homers in one game and still earn a victory.  The previous two were in 1930 and 1932 (Larry Benton and Sloppy Thurston if you are interested).  For the record; Ivan Rodriguez (2), Craig Monroe, Eric Munson, Carlos Pena and Dmitri Young (Munson also had one off Mike Timlin).
Game 110 - Yankees 7 at Sox 15 - 2018 - In a season of dreams this game was one of the dreamiest.  Brian Johnson put the Sox in an early 4-0 hole but it was the Steve Pearce show as Pearce homered three times and drove in six as the Sox started off what would become a sweep of the second place Yanks.

Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 20, 2020 at 08:03 PM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dillon Gee Escape Plan Posted: July 20, 2020 at 09:56 PM (#5964401)
   2. villageidiom Posted: July 21, 2020 at 08:45 AM (#5964438)
This was one of those random games we purchased but we remember it to this day because in the third inning Billy Hatcher was standing on third…then suddenly broke for the plate sliding in safely.  I’m pretty sure I missed the next inning and a half as we just kept looking at each other saying “Billy Hatcher stole home.”

I was studying for an actuarial exam, and mrsidiom interrupted to ask "Can someone steal home? Because I think Billy Hatcher just did that." She'd never seen nor heard of anyone doing that before, and it just happened while she was watching the game.

Man, everyone knows where they were when Billy Hatcher stole home.
   3. Nasty Nate Posted: July 21, 2020 at 09:04 AM (#5964441)
http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/hatcherzone/ The Only Webpage Exclusively Devoted To The Time That Billy Hatcher Stole Home
   4. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 21, 2020 at 10:03 AM (#5964447)
1 - I was going to include that. I was at that game. It might be the best regular season game I’ve ever atttended. But discovering that game 108 was the last game of 1981 and the connection to this year was too good. I had rented an amazing camera lens (600mm zoom) and was walking around taking some pictures all night. By coincidence I was on the third base side when Austin Jackson made his amazing catch on Hanley. Unfortunately I had chosen that moment to snap Hanley’s swing (which I got a good picture of) so I missed getting the catch which I could have gotten a truly great photo of.
   5. villageidiom Posted: July 21, 2020 at 10:26 AM (#5964453)
From the link in #3, proving my point:
August 3, 1992 -- It is a date etched in our national consciousness, a date when everything changed. Just like everyone remembers where they were when Pearl Harbor was bombed or Kennedy was shot, everyone knows exactly what they were doing when Billy Hatcher stole home.
I swear I did not create that site.
   6. Gch Posted: July 21, 2020 at 12:49 PM (#5964473)
Game 105 - Sox 14 at Rangers 7 - 2003 - Trailing 4-2 after 6 the Sox struck for 7 runs in the 7th and 5 more in the 8th. The noteworthy part of that was eight of the RBI belonged to one man as Bill Mueller hit grand slams from each side of the plate. This game is also intriguing as the rare knuckleballer vs. knuckleballer matchup as Tim Wakefield stared down R.A. Dickey.

I was going to complain that Dickey wasn't a knuckleballer at that point, but when I checked that I learned that Dickey now claims that the weird forkball called "The Thing" the he threw back then was actually a hard knuckleball and he just didn't realize it at the time.

No less a source than Nostradamus predicted Hatcher's steal, but even he managed to underestimate the great Hatcher. He foretold that "in the final years of the second millenium, in the heat of battle, a man will attempt to steal the very thing from which he came", then quickly added "but there's no way he'll get past Pat Borders. That guy's a [expletive deleted] brick wall."

I laughed, then I clicked through to the song parodies.
   7. karlmagnus Posted: July 21, 2020 at 01:13 PM (#5964475)
This is a wonderful series. However, because of the date limit Jose has imposed, it leaves room for an Old Perfect Schedule from 1901 to 1979, which can be done next time we lose a real season. That would have Williams, Ruth, Speaker and Yaz.

Just a thought. Jose, thanks for what you have produced -- very enjoyable.
   8. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: July 21, 2020 at 01:25 PM (#5964479)
Bruce Hurst spun a gem with a complete game 3 hit shutout.

Sort of a wasted effort if you ask me, he could have saved himself and pitched to the score more a la a certain HOF starting pitcher.
   9. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 21, 2020 at 01:57 PM (#5964482)
Glad you are enjoying it Karl. FWIW the time limit I imposed was to try and get a lot of personal memories into it.
   10. Darren Posted: July 23, 2020 at 04:33 PM (#5965022)
I've been out of touch here, but with the Mookie news, I thought for sure there would be a new thread where we could rehash every argument we've had over the past year about Mookie. :)

Hope you're all doing well and staying safe.
   11. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 23, 2020 at 07:17 PM (#5965057)
Doing alright here Darren thanks. How are you and yours holding up?
   12. Darren Posted: July 23, 2020 at 07:32 PM (#5965061)
pretty okay thanks

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.