Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Sox Therapy > Discussion
Sox Therapy
— Where Thinking Red Sox Fans Obsess about the Sox

Monday, July 06, 2020

The Perfect Schedule - Games 91-100

The Sox hit triple digits here at they run their record to 100-0!  This series includes arguably the most iconic regular season game in club history which is a shame in some way because that punted Nomar’s 3 homer birthday party against Tampa off the list.

Game 91 - 2014 - Other Sox 4 at Sox 5 - It’s weird the things you remember.  White Sox starter Chris Sale shut down the Good Sox for 7 innings.  In the 8th down 4-0 rookie Mookie Betts singled to shortstop but was hustling all the way and as the ball dribbled into the outfield raced to second for a double.  That lit a fuse and the Sox rallied to make it 4-3.  In the 9th Mookie then got hit by a pitch, scored on a Daniel Nava double then watched as Brock Holt singled home Nava for the walk off win.
Game 92 - 1999 - Marlins 9 at Sox 11 - Here’s one you don’t read often; Pedro Martinez got bombed and by the time the top of the 4th was over his day was done and the Sox were down 9-5.  No problem, doubles by Offerman and Valentin made it 9-7 and relievers Rich Garces and Derek Lowe settled things down.  Valentin kept slugging, a sac fly made it 9-8 and his 2 run triple in the 8th made it 10-9.  Framingham Lou Merloni drove him in and closer Tim Wakefield earned his 12th save.
Game 93 - 2008 - Twins 5 at Sox 6 - I attended this game with my mother.  For 7 innings it was kind of bleak but down 5-2 in the 8th the Sox rallied.  A JD Drew ground out plated Jacoby Ellsbury and Manny Ramirez (had he “quit” by this point?) slugged a two run dinger into the monster seats that sent Fenway into a state of insanity.  The Sox kept grinding and Brandon Moss’ single scored Youk to win it.
Game 94 - 1985 - Athletics 5 at Sox 6 - Baseball 1985 style; Don Sutton pitched 8 innings allowing 13 hits and 5 runs.  Up 5-3 Oil Can Boyd couldn’t hold it and Donnie Hill singled off Bob Stanley to tie it.  The Sox rallied in the bottom of the 9th loading the bases and Jackie (12 walks in 297 PA) Gutierrez somehow worked one of those bases on balls to plate Dave Stapleton with a very literal walk off victory.
Game 95 - 1995 - Indians 5 at Sox 9 - Ken Hill and Erik Hanson fought to a 5-5 tie over the first seven frames.  In the 8th walks to Greenwell and O’Leary gave the Sox a chance and Matt Stairs (RBI single), Chris Donnels (2 run triple) and Luis Alicea (sac fly) gave the Sox a 9-5 lead they would not relinquish.
Game 96 - 1993 - Athletics 5 at Sox 6 - Just your average comeback against two Hall of Fame closers.  Leading 5-2 in the 8th Tony LaRussa turned to reigning MVP Dennis Eckersley for a six out save.  Billy Hatcher doubled home Scott Fletcher and Mike Greenwell slugged a two run homer to tie it.  In the 10th with Hatcher on second Bob Zupcic did what Bob Bailey couldn’t do and delivered off Rich Gossage with a game winning two bagger.
Game 97 - 2004 - Yankees 10 at Sox 11 - I had fled Boston in hopes of not dealing with the chaos surrounding the Democratic convention.  Lucky me I was in Atlanta visiting friends while the Sox played one of the iconic games in club history.  A-Rod got a facefull of leather from Tek and in a harbinger of things to come Kevin Miller and Bill Mueller combined to claim victory from the jaws of defeat against Mariano Rivera.  The 9th inning rally started with Nomar Garciaparra’s final Fenway XBH and final Fenway run as a member of the Sox.
Game 98 - 1987 - Mariners 1 at Sox 11 - Wade Boggs went 4 for 4 and Roger Clemens fanned 14 but the story on this day was new folk hero Sam Horn who became the first Red Sox player to homer in his first two career games (he remains the only Sox player to do so).
Game 99 - 1995 - Orioles 2 at Sox 3 - Leading 3-1 headed to the ninth Tim Wakefield worked through 3 walks and a Brady Anderson triple to leave the bases loaded with one out for Stan Belinda.  All Belinda had to do to save the game was retire future Hall of Famer Cal Ripken.  I remember listening on the radio in my parents’ driveway as new guy Jerry Trupiano questioned Kevin Kennedy keeping the infield back then erupting in shouts of glee as Valentin, Alicea and Vaughn turned two to end the game.
Game 100 - 2005 - Sox 10 at Rays 9 - Another radio memory, this one in my garage as I painted my shutters.  Matt Clement left the game early after taking a Carl Crawford liner off the head.  The game went back and forth until the Sox scored twice in the top of the ninth on a homer by Damon and double by Varitek to plate Renteria.  Reliever Curt Schilling struggled allowing a run in the bottom of the ninth but got a grounder to John Olerud to throw to second for the force to end the game.

Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 06, 2020 at 08:56 PM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. villageidiom Posted: July 08, 2020 at 09:03 AM (#5961643)
Here’s one you don’t read often; Pedro Martinez got bombed and by the time the top of the 4th was over his day was done and the Sox were down 9-5.
This was his first start after his brilliant All-Star Game appearance, right? IIRC they shut him down for a couple weeks after this, then babied him for a few starts, and they lost a few games in the standings in the meantime. I recall a lot of dire thoughts in that span. But later that season was the one-hitter at Yankee Stadium, and of course ALDS Game 5.
   2. Nasty Nate Posted: July 08, 2020 at 10:23 AM (#5961654)
Jose, why do you hate Morgan Magic? Were you a surly teen in '88 that was too cool for square old baseball?
   3. Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert Posted: July 08, 2020 at 11:53 AM (#5961677)
I adore Morgan Magic. I’m just trying to mix it up. I guess the Benzinger game could’ve gone in over the Marlin game (#92). It’s tricky, I’m doing this by eyeball, I grab all Sox games for each number from 1980-2019 and try to see what jumps out. Some of them I remember for whatever reason, I try to click on close games (particularly home games that might be walkoffs), check on any big run games or 1-0 type games and any time I see an interesting name in the win column I check that.
   4. The Mighty Quintana Posted: July 15, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5963070)
Oh, I was at the Benzinger game...as much fun as I've ever had attending any live event!

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.